Fixed Cost Direct Mail Lead Filters

In Southern California I am a big advocate of filters. Age filters because the cost of living is so high out here that if you're getting leads below 60 it takes a lot more to reach them as they'll be working.

I believe Springbok said it the best when he said something about only needing 1 sale in every 100 leads to break even with filters. It's a no brainer!

In Southern California I am a big advocate of filters. Age filters because the cost of living is so high out here that if you're getting leads below 60 it takes a lot more to reach them as they'll be working.

I believe Springbok said it the best when he said something about only needing 1 sale in every 100 leads to break even with filters. It's a no brainer!

Good point about location. Not all areas are the same. A friend of mine in oakland run income filter at 10k to 40k because running leads as low as 40 not only puts him in very rough areas, but it's people with direct express and literally have no money. He said his average premium was less than 30 bucks and had bad persistency. I'd assume the same to be true in other cities like Detroit, chicago,
Philadelphia, etc. (assuming you work the city and not the suburb)

----------

Good point about location. Not all areas are the same. A friend of mine in oakland run income filter at 10k to 40k because running leads as low as 40 not only puts him in very rough areas, but it's people with direct express and literally have no money. He said his average premium was less than 30 bucks and had bad persistency. I'd assume the same to be true in other cities like Detroit, chicago,

As low as 0 not 40.

----------

As low as 0 not 40.

What you call rough areas are my people. I would guess over 70% of my writes are for people making less than $1K per month. And DE is fine with me.

I love the projects. I get more referrals in the projects than anywhere else.

It is personal preference but I don't want to filter out my prospects.

What you call rough areas are my people. I would guess over 70% of my writes are for people making less than $1K per month. And DE is fine with me.

JD, writing that demographic are you able to keep your 13 month persistency above 80%? Do you notice a lot of difference in the DE persistency and your other business?

We all work the projects, but again - not all inner cities are created equal. I havent been in this long enough, but i have strong doubts that working the projects in ky (I'd assume louisville) is anything like chicago or Philadelphia. What inner cities have you worked in your fe career?

----------

Also under 1k a month is to broad. My friends filter was 10k (which is under 1k a month) to 40k. If they make 200 a month is different than making 999 a month.

I would think that the "mason/dixon projects" ain't exactly the Detroit/ Oakland/ Philly projects. Unless you go to Memphis? I worked the Detroit projects once. I won't be back. Even Flint and Saginaw 'jects are 100% better than the D.

Yep, projects of places like Oakland, Detroit, Chicago, Philadelphia and of course, Paducah.

JD, writing that demographic are you able to keep your 13 month persistency above 80%? Do you notice a lot of difference in the DE persistency and your other business?

My persistency has never been an issue. It's over 90% with my go to.

As for DE, it's probably not as good as checking account business? But not different enough to be noticeable.

Some valid points about different areas but people are people. If inner city Chicago people with de cards sent in a card then they have a why.

Someone is there selling to them. I'm sure there's areas that I would chose to not work. Someone will.

My persistency has never been an issue. It's over 90% with my go to.

As for DE, it's probably not as good as checking account business? But not different enough to be noticeable.

Some valid points about different areas but people are people. If inner city Chicago people with de cards sent in a card then they have a why.

Someone is there selling to them. I'm sure there's areas that I would chose to not work. Someone will.

Thanks for your answer.. On the surface, it would seem DE would be as good a checking account business if the company is taking the money the day it is deposited before the client can get to it.

Transamerica DE billing is on point, the worst persistency I swear are those 50-62 y/o's that are still working want Insurance but can't manage a regular payment date.

Back