Clusters for New Agents

bboyd

Expert
Hello Everyone,
I am looking for a good cluster or some sort of franchise that is easy to get into and will work with someone who does not have a lot of experience in insurance sales. I decided to start selling insurance because we have to buy so much of it thru our other businesses and should go ahead and take the commissions directly. Most of it is commercial, some personal policies. I was also looking at it as a way to offer it to our employees and possibly payroll deduct any $ figure weekly if they wanted to do so since I had several employees ask. Mainly right now it is P&C but with Health going to start in the near future as soon as I get licensed to do so.

Any ideas on where to go?

Hello Everyone,
I am looking for a good cluster or some sort of franchise that is easy to get into and will work with someone who does not have a lot of experience in insurance sales. I decided to start selling insurance because we have to buy so much of it thru our other businesses and should go ahead and take the commissions directly. Most of it is commercial, some personal policies. I was also looking at it as a way to offer it to our employees and possibly payroll deduct any $ figure weekly if they wanted to do so since I had several employees ask. Mainly right now it is P&C but with Health going to start in the near future as soon as I get licensed to do so. Any ideas on where to go?

I do not know of what volume of premium we are talking about and being a nonP&C guy I don't not know how cluster would view someone entering the business for your purposes but my guess is unfavorable. Have you factored in the cost of E&O in your plans?

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,
I am looking for a good cluster or some sort of franchise that is easy to get into and will work with someone who does not have a lot of experience in insurance sales. I decided to start selling insurance because we have to buy so much of it thru our other businesses and should go ahead and take the commissions directly. Most of it is commercial, some personal policies. I was also looking at it as a way to offer it to our employees and possibly payroll deduct any $ figure weekly if they wanted to do so since I had several employees ask. Mainly right now it is P&C but with Health going to start in the near future as soon as I get licensed to do so.

Any ideas on where to go?

Clusters need to justify their agent appointments. There is nothing in your post that would lead me to believe you have any chance at an appointment, either direct or through a cluster. However, you might be able to convince an agency to "hire" you as a producer. You could recoup some of your premiums via commissions, but you have zero chance at getting an agency appointment.

I am not looking at doing JUST my business insurance, also doing insurance as a whole to new customers. Just getting started using our other businesses as a starting point then moving forward.

I would recommend a new startup agency or a small to medium size IIA check out the Channel Agent Program from AgentCo. They provide insurance carrier access that allows your agency to quote and issue directly with the carrier, they put your agency name on the dec page and best of all they support the long term goals of your Independent Insurance Agency by helping you earn direct appointments with the same carriers that they provide you. It's a clear exit strategy and very fair commission splits,etc. They help you focus on earning direct appointments with the agency's core P&C carriers (standard market PL & CL carrier appointments).
Hope this helps.

I am not looking at doing JUST my business insurance, also doing insurance as a whole to new customers. Just getting started using our other businesses as a starting point then moving forward.

What state are you in, and this will allow us to guide you in the right direction a little bit easier.

Back