Fastest Way to Get Contract Release from GA, FMO, Etc

alphawave2k

Guru
100+ Post Club
I'd like to get some input on the best and fastest way to get released from a contract signed under FMO, IMO, GA, whatever. I have a couple of pesky situations where I keep calling and waiting to get the letter of release (always going out today, but never comes), and one GA who flat out refuses to release because as he states it is "a strict matter of policy, that he does not release agents from our agency hierarchy". Talk about a line of bull!!!
Isn't there some recourse for agents to pursue to get this done? Other than going through legal channels, but we all know enlisting legal assistance usually comes at a price.
How come agents always get the short end of the stick on these deals...there has got to be some agency that looks into this sort of thing and intercedes for a fair and quick resolution to this nonsense.
Slavery was abolished a long time ago, but seem to still exists in this industry!!:1mad:

There is no legal channel. First of all you'd have to show some kind of damages and if you're still able to write business through your current GA there are no damages.

The only way to do it is just sit out the required period of time.

this is contract law, not criminal law. Your GA hasn't done anything illegal if they are refusing to give you a release. Best thing to do is to call the carrier and ask them how long it will take before you can get an auto release. You won't be able to get a release if you have a negative balance, but other than that they will give you one if you go long enough without any production.

Then next time, read your contract and ask that question before you come onboard with a GA.

Slavery was abolished a long time ago, but seem to still exists in this industry!!:1mad:

Agents are more like indentured servants with all of the bad connotations that go with it.

If those people would give the agent a good contract, follow through with promises made and not rip them off the question of requesting a release would probably never come up. This can be a very dirty business.

Isn't it interesting that the people who claim they are there to "help agents" are the ones who are screwing them the worst. They promise "training", and "support", offer a sub level contract because of that "help" and then totally forget about all the promises made.

You're right, there should be a law but there isn't. How do those guys sleep well at night? Obviously they have no conscience or ethics.

TristanTLC
this is contract law, not criminal law. Your GA hasn't done anything illegal if they are refusing to give you a release.
Then next time, read your contract and ask that question before you come onboard with a GA.
In a way I posted thread to warn many newbies coming on this board...I was wet behind the ears when I signed some of those contracts...and one very recent...my mistake. It's just surprising that since no business transacted and no energy or effort expended on either side, the release from the contract would have been automatic. Hard lessons are best teachers.
healthagent
There is no legal channel. First of all you'd have to show some kind of damages and if you're still able to write business through your current GA there are no damages.
Actually no harm, no foul in both of these cases other than my wanting to move the contract over...if no debt or other pending business or written business within past 6 mos...should be a quick deal.

Frank Stastny
Agents are more like indentured servants with all of the bad connotations that go with it.
If those people would ... follow through with promises made and not rip them off the question of requesting a release would probably never come up. This can be a very dirty business.

Isn't it interesting that they promise "training", and "support", offer a sub level contract because of that "help" and then totally forget about all the promises made.
You're right, there should be a law but there isn't. How do those guys sleep well at night? Obviously they have no conscience or ethics.
I wasn't claiming any of this being illegal, that's a man-made word in a man-made world and rules. I strive to operate with the highest character and absolute ethics....and to go beyond the law. When a mistake has been made, recognize it, correct it, apologize for it if need be, and move on. To keep someone "frozen" in space with a particular carrier for no good reason other than to make that person suffer for it, may be within the "law", but it's not ethical. Ethical law is an oxymoron. We all have had instances when the "law" says you are operating within the criminal law constraints, but your conscience tells you you are doing something unethical...so, you hide behind the "law"?
One very valuable lesson I've learned from the vets on this forum is to only sign contracts where you are the agent of record. Any newbie reading this take heed. Read the contract and ask questions, and get everything in writing or walk.
I've learned that lesson well. Thank you all for your input.

I'd like to get some input on the best and fastest way to get released from a contract signed under FMO, IMO, GA, whatever. I have a couple of pesky situations where I keep calling and waiting to get the letter of release (always going out today, but never comes), and one GA who flat out refuses to release because as he states it is "a strict matter of policy, that he does not release agents from our agency hierarchy". Talk about a line of bull!!!
Isn't there some recourse for agents to pursue to get this done? Other than going through legal channels, but we all know enlisting legal assistance usually comes at a price.
How come agents always get the short end of the stick on these deals...there has got to be some agency that looks into this sort of thing and intercedes for a fair and quick resolution to this nonsense.

trying to sound generous now? You know full well you didn't post as an attempt to warn anyone. You posted because you were indignant about the situation and wanted to bitch to someone. Nothing wrong with that. We just told you what you didn't want to hear so you changed your tune.

trying to sound generous now? You know full well you didn't post as an attempt to warn anyone. You posted because you were indignant about the situation and wanted to bitch to someone. Nothing wrong with that. We just told you what you didn't want to hear so you changed your tune.
No, I heard exactly what I wanted to hear...accurate and truthful feedback...I only asked for the medicine that would work. In turn, I was highlighting my lesson learned for the benefit of others.
My original post did have elements of bitching....just expressing my range of thoughts and emotion...and whether you care to believe it or not, I was also trying to adhere to forum protocol, which is to be of help to others and be positive.
So as I learned a hard-knock lesson, I was making sure others do as well, and hence I respectfully disagree with your comment that "I changed my tune and trying to be generous"...if you listened, the theme was embedded in the melody, and the song remains the same...just came back and threw in some high notes. I sure hope that didn't hurt you too much. I also thanked you and those that contributed as well. So now that I've taken my medicine, and my ass-whipping and I feel much better. Thanks again.

No, I heard exactly what I wanted to hear...accurate and truthful feedback...I only asked for the medicine that would work. In turn, I was highlighting my lesson learned for the benefit of others.
My original post did have elements of bitching....just expressing my range of thoughts and emotion...and whether you care to believe it or not, I was also trying to adhere to forum protocol, which is to be of help to others and be positive.
So as I learned a hard-knock lesson, I was making sure others do as well, and hence I respectfully disagree with your comment that "I changed my tune and trying to be generous"...if you listened, the theme was embedded in the melody, and the song remains the same...just came back and threw in some high notes. I sure hope that didn't hurt you too much. I also thanked you and those that contributed as well. So now that I've taken my medicine, and my ass-whipping and I feel much better. Thanks again.

The one thing that I have discovered the hard way also is that life's tuition is very expensive.

Unfortunately, it's all part of learning to be an insurance agent.

Back