Is Open Enrollment Worth It?

Zoaty

Expert
I am just starting in Insurance, and plan to focus on Life or Annuities.

Regardless, I know that Medicare Open Enrollment is starting in October. Ive known agents who have said they making a large sum of money during the open enrollment.

Im curious if it's a good idea for me to start out with open enrollment to grow a nice safety nest egg so I can make it through the life or annuity learning curve, or if it's a bad idea and to just go strait for life or annuity sales and get a part time job while I learn?

I've heard that Medicare is very complicated and easy to get in trouble for making mistakes - is that true?

Thanks!

You thinking about Med Advantage or Medicare Supplement?

I am open to hearing about either option. I don't know if one is better than the other, or the pros & cons to each. I guess I was primarily thinking Medicare Advantage, but would love to hear peoples thoughts about sup as well.

Thx!

well my state requires additional educational hours and every provider makes you take additional product studies. So, if this really is something you plan to do, better look into licensing for it. In my state, you will not get paid and can actually get into trouble selling senior products without proper licensing.

So figure it out pretty quick time flies fast.

And that way you can learn about medicare advantage and supplement products is to take those courses. not here. Do the work or don't bother and don't sell.

If your going to sell MA plans it would be wise to go to Medicare.gov and check out the plans in your area. Also check out who your competition will be and compare the plans they are offering.

Excellent feedback - thanks a lot! :-)

Open Enrollment is a good opportunity to make good money in a relatively short period of time. Last year was my first rodeo doing MAPDs and it is what has kept me afloat throughout this year. You may want to start looking into certifications, for Carriers, etc. as October 15 is just around the corner. Good luck to you!

Agent how did you get your leads to write during open enrollment?

I held Meetings that I advertised to my already list of clients that I had written Life Insurance on.
Once Meetings were set, I used Social Media and word of mouth to get as many folks as possible to those Meetings. It is a numbers game really.
With CMS having such ridiculous Marketting guidelines, this was the trickiest part for a newbie like myself.

Back