Please Help! Moving from Virginia to North Carolina

Hi all,

I currently held a Virginia P&C license and thinking about moving to North Carolina. Can I keep my Virginia P&C license active as long as I keep up with the CE requirements once I moved to North Carolina? I have no intention of getting a North Carolina P&C license but to keep my Virginia license. Please advise.

Last edited:
If you move to another state I would say no but all you have to do is Change your license to NC. Just pay the fee and do NC CE and if you decide to move back just do it again. While in NC you can also get a VA nonresident if need be.

If you move to another state I would say no but all you have to do is Change your license to NC. Just pay the fee and do NC CE and if you decide to move back just do it again. While in NC you can also get a VA nonresident if need be.

Thank you for the information. VA Bureau of Insurance mentioned something about the clearance letter. Do I get a clearance letter before or after obtaining a P&C license in NC?

The clearance letter comes after you give up your VA license. The state of VA is basically saying you left in good standing. To get the resident license in NC it sounds like you have to get it then again if you do the application online they may just go by your national producer number. I would talk to each state and ask them the procedures on transferring a license.

Just make sure you know the time limits to transfer the resident license. You don't want to have to go through testing all over again if you don't have to. One more thing as a side note it might be a good idea to add the "life" license if it's going to be a minute before you move. Check each state and see what the requirements are for each state. One may be 20hrs prelicense study time and one may be 40hrs.

The clearance letter comes after you give up your VA license. The state of VA is basically saying you left in good standing. To get the resident license in NC it sounds like you have to get it then again if you do the application online they may just go by your national producer number. I would talk to each state and ask them the procedures on transferring a license.

Just make sure you know the time limits to transfer the resident license. You don't want to have to go through testing all over again if you don't have to. One more thing as a side note it might be a good idea to add the "life" license if it's going to be a minute before you move. Check each state and see what the requirements are for each state. One may be 20hrs prelicense study time and one may be 40hrs.

Thank you so much for your help! :-)

Back