Can I Transition from Producer to Agent?

BocaLouis

For few years I have being working as a producer for a captive agency with my 4-40; I notice that when I got my 2-20 few months ago my license got unaffiliated with my current employer, so now I have no appointment with them, so the question is, can I start my own agency while still working as a producer? The plan is to get an agency license an get an office and work evenings an weekends until I get going, so can that be done? I suggested my boss opening and partnering on an ia but the man does not want he's best producer to grow independent, even thou I have a sweet fl ho carrier (that is unavailable to him), willing to give me the appointment (due to a good connection). This question arises from my understanding that if your license is appointed as a producer with an agency you cannot do anything externally, I might be confused could you shed some light please?

Reason you do not have an appointment any more is FL 220 agents are not required to hold the license at any agency. Only appoints you will have are direct carrier appoints and if the current agent were to get you appointed.

Sounds like you are trying to go Indy while still working with the captive agent. The agent may have some language in the contract that will not let you solicit business during the time you are employed or contacted with him.

Now you may be able to get agency licensing, E&O, AMS etc.. While you finish up your term our your contractual agreement. That is something you will have to ask the DFS.

What FL homeowner carrier are you referring to?

Back