Getting Started in the Insurance industry

I have an Oklahoma resident license. I started out 5 years ago as a CSR for a State Farm agent. As far as I know, you're not required to work for anyone for a specified amount of time. But you do have to pass the insurance tests. There is a test for Property & Casualty and a separate test for Life & Health. You can take one or the other or

Thank you for this information. There is alot of good information here that I plan on saving and referring back to. I am thinking about going into the industry, so this information will help me a great deal.

I too am considering a transition from mortgages to insurance. This mortgage game has changed sooo much since 2007. My best years were in 2005, 2006 and 2007 where I made 150k, 170k and 190k. Now it's a struggle to just make 60k with a lot of headaches along the way. I have my first interview today with ING. Haven't been able to find much information on them. Anyway, best of luck KC. I hope we both land on our feet.

I've also noticed top of mind awareness when it comes to insurance. Seems like since its in the news everyone wants to know what their insurance would cost.

Ok guys, I want to get into the insurance biz but I have no idea where to start. I've looked at most of the threads on the forum and some have answered my questions but I still have a few to ask but I'll give you some background first.

I live in Shreveport, Louisiana and I know about 5 agents with 4 of them being in Primerica of which I have no desire of joining whatsoever. The last guy is a fellow I used to work with who actually gave me my first job as a teen. Now I believe he's an indy but not exactly sure what type if that makes sense. I went to his office because he also does pre-lic. classes as well and I was thinking about taking L/H classes but he recommended P&C. He stated that those agents were knocking down roughly 4k a month. Which for where I live is pretty good money as the cost of living is very low he even said I could work for him and that other agencies call him looking for P&C licensed agents.

My questions are:

1. How do I go about doing my own research to find out which is better for my area?

2. If I chose to work through/for him, what questions should I be asking?

3. Do I walk if it's a captive situation or not?

4.If I choose to go another route like Indy for myself what tools are there available to help me with building my business?

I've seen the different things posted about IIAA and HCC that help indies, would they be sufficient in helping a newbie build a business. I don't need to make a lot of money early per se, I just want to work for myself and help people. I figure if I do those things the money will take care of itself. Any help and I mean any help would be very appreciated.

Ok guys, I want to get into the insurance biz but I have no idea where to start. I've looked at most of the threads on the forum and some have answered my questions but I still have a few to ask but I'll give you some background first.

I live in Shreveport, Louisiana and I know about 5 agents with 4 of them being in Primerica of which I have no desire of joining whatsoever. The last guy is a fellow I used to work with who actually gave me my first job as a teen. Now I believe he's an indy but not exactly sure what type if that makes sense. I went to his office because he also does pre-lic. classes as well and I was thinking about taking L/H classes but he recommended P&C. He stated that those agents were knocking down roughly 4k a month. Which for where I live is pretty good money as the cost of living is very low he even said I could work for him and that other agencies call him looking for P&C licensed agents.

My questions are:

1. How do I go about doing my own research to find out which is better for my area?

2. If I chose to work through/for him, what questions should I be asking?

3. Do I walk if it's a captive situation or not?

4.If I choose to go another route like Indy for myself what tools are there available to help me with building my business?

I've seen the different things posted about IIAA and HCC that help indies, would they be sufficient in helping a newbie build a business. I don't need to make a lot of money early per se, I just want to work for myself and help people. I figure if I do those things the money will take care of itself. Any help and I mean any help would be very appreciated.

You have to do a lot more than just work for yourself and want to help people. It wont just take care of itself.

Very few new agents make it more than 13 months in this business.

Right now, you have some hard decisions to make. You have not even decided between p&c or Life/Health.

I recommend that you find somone local to help you and but you under their wing. If you know of some successful agents, try and copy what they are doing and see if they will help you.

I don't know of any brand new P and C agents making $4,000 a month.

In order to answer your questions, we 1st have to learn more about you and ask you some questions.

Like how much time and money do you have to invest into this career?

i would say some of the most important things starting out in the business, is training, quality of company and if you have a mentor that can take you buy the hand and teach you or if you find a successful experienced agent that you can latch on to as much as you can you will be miles ahead. i have worked at captive and independent. there are pluses and minuses to both, too numerous to mention
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
in my opinion starting an independent scratch agency at this point is suicide unless you have lots and lots of free cash sitting around to get thru the first 3 to 5 years

Last edited:
I know making it in this business or any other for that matter requires hard work and some determination. I'm just looking for some direction. I don't have loads of money but I don't have huge amounts of debt either so I don't have to make a ton of money from the get go.

Back