Getting Started in the Insurance industry

New to the forum, I have not even taken a test yet I'm trying to move from New Jersey to Florida it seems that selling insurance is the only job available in the . I plan on putting my self through the exam and will probably be using one of the online educational services. But I digress, I plan on becoming sponge before I decide which direction I am going in... I want thank those before me who have provided their knowledge and years of experience.

I have been reading for the last five hours all the entries and have copied and pasted some of the best advice given on here which I will add in my next post. But I will not be adding names those of you who know which post are yours kudos!!! I will maintain the post and edit it from time to time.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Insurance Advice

"… build a team and don't earn alone . . . Focus on writing one product for 6 months minimum. Work hard - 9am to noon and 3pm to 6pm - at least 4 days a week. Build a team and show them how to do the same… Focus on one for 6 months. Keep it simple . . ."

"First and foremost, find out if you or the agency will be the Agent of Record on all the business you write. If you are not, then all the commission and renewal checks will go to the agency and they will be paying you. (Usually not the best deal for the agent.)"

"Before you sign anything ask what your percent of commission will be and then do the research and find out what is considered "Street Level Commissions. On occasion agents have signed up with an agency only to find out later that they are only receiving a greatly reduced commission over what they may have been able to get elsewhere."

"Classes are offered to prepare you for the tests but they cost money. However, I found that the tests and the information provided to pass the test didn't really prepare me much for specialized products. It's really nice to be able to watch an agent sell some products and get paid for learning how it's done than doing the whole trial and error thing. Don't get me wrong, trial and error is pretty much how I prefer to learn everything else, but for selling insurance I wouldn't recommend it. … some agents will pay for your classes and the test if they think you might hang around for awhile and be an asset to their company. And don't be afraid to talk to these agents about commissions and an hourly wage. The downside to this is if you work for State Farm, Shelter, Farmers, Allstate, etc., (in other words, captive agents) you won't be able to pursue the independent side much. I also have a non-resident license in Arkansas and the Farmers agency I worked for didn't offer Farmers Health insurance. In that instance, I was able to sell health to our customers using other health insurance companies. Additionally, sometimes client's have health issues that make them ineligible for life insurance with your State Farms, Farmers Insurance Companies, and the like. In those situations, if you wanted to get appointed with life insurance companies who have minimal underwriting requirements or who accept clients with cancer, heart disease, etc., you might find a niche there. Professionally, I think it's a smart move to get appointed with these types of insurance companies because if you have a customer who needs life insurance and they get turned down by your captive agency, you might still be able to help them. Clients like people who have more than one trick up their sleeve to help them. Also when it comes time for that client to consider if they want to take their auto or home policy somewhere else, they will usually think twice because they will remember how resourceful you were when they needed an important product… the majority of customers are most likely going to qualify for a policy at some rate. Oftentimes, underwriters like to use what's called a table rate to increase the cost of a policy for certain conditions so they don't have to decline the policy but they can still charge a sufficient rate for the risk. So keep in mind that you'll probably actually only have a small percentage of people you could write with another company."

Referring to study guides:
"I used examfx and liked it a lot. Sometimes you can get discounts so maybe search online for these. This place was recommended to me and America's Professor - Online Insurance Prelicensing & Exam Prep and there's also pearsonvue Testing Provider for Certification and Licensure Exams: Pearson VUE. Do a search and check them out - read the reviews. I did very well with Examfx - studied for a few weeks - those practice exams and simulated and bonus exams helped a lot and I passed with ease. I always thought I wasn't learning it but everytime I took the quizzes and practice exams I would pass! but I think I'll use the America's professor because it's less expensive when I need to take practice exams for next tests."

Referring to recruiting manager’s:
"I'd ask your manager to introduce you or give you a list of every agent in the office who is doing 100+ lives in a year and (ideally) has been doing so consistently. See if you can learn from someone like that. They may be doing worksite presentations and enrollments or other "hard work" sales that wasn't told to you during your interviews. You need to find those who are Kicking Ass and Taking Names."

"Partner with someone one that can contract you under them and will make money off you but will have the time to guide you. I have agents that I'll drop everything I'm doing for to help them get a sale. It's not only because I'm making money off of him, but because I like to teach and get pleasure when I see my student succeeding. You really need a partner like this....that has a vested interest in you succeeding and actually enjoys it."

"If I were new today I would take a lot more control at my 'interview' and turn the table and interview the general agent or IMO. I'd ask them to give me a few reasons why I should work there. I'd ask what their marketing plan was. Ask how much marketing guidance they will give you. How do they get their leads and prospects? Are they technologically advanced ? Are they doing anything that's clever (in terms of marketing) or that you never heard of? Are they innovative in their approach to gaining new customers? OR are they just going to hand you a phone and a box full of blank index cards and give you a sheet of paper with a circle in the middle?"

"As for working with Captive companies - I think that's nonsense in this day and age. I don't believe in it other than for some 'training 101' for the newbie - and to use their pencil sharpener if you don't have one yourself. See, Clients love choice. There's no reason you have to be a captive MetLife agent (for example) - the MetLife General agent will be happy to contract you and have you out there selling their product with no regulatory tie down. It's called a broker contract and it's often a lot higher than anything you'll get on the street."

"Because if you don't take the time to read the agent guides, you will end up not getting paid! The unsuccessful agents seem to refuse to read the agent guide or read anything that can help them."

If there any that should be added let me know I will add... Thanks again for the advice.

Last edited:
After like 4 months of reading this forum for hours each night and personally talking to some well respected members I have learned:

#1. Go indy
#2. Focus on 1 product for 6 months
#3. Work your ass off
#4. Don't spend tons of money on leads, not the answer when new.
#5. Take that lead money and instead invest in some training. There are some nice recommendations on here.
#6. Don't expect to make a ton of money in year 1 as you learn the business.

At first I figured as a new person buying leads would be the #1 thing you would NEED to do, now I see why that is so not true. First off being new you have some learning curve, regardless of how awesome you have done in sales elsewhere. So if you spend money on leads that is almost like throwing money a way because as a rookie the lead MIGHT get you in front of the client but without the training you blow it.

Since we all love to blame everyone but ourselves we will blame it on the lead source right? Get pissed off and this sets the tone for your other appointments.

Instead you spend just a little bit of money on a list and cold call like crazy and set appointments. Yes it's hard work but that's the point right? Now you get some practice on the phone and get that achievement of setting an appointment. Go to the home and make a sale and feel great. Do some door knocking while you are there and just keep working hard.

Doing it this way sounds the hardest but you gain the most in my opinion. Then when you know you have the knowledge and selling skills you can look more into buying quality leads, because at least you aren't completely wasting your money. There are plenty of reasons why a lead you just bought can be crap, but I never want my lack of knowledge and selling skills to be one of the reasons.

SlushPuppyKing & Colombianking49,

I think a lot of it depends on what type of agent and/or agency you see yourself as.

I've been a captive with Farmers & Allstate. One huge advantage is the Name Brand recognition & that works Very well for a P&C newbie agent starting out. But it also works for an experienced guy like me that did it in three different states. [CA, KY, TN] I opened up a new office [scratch agency] in all three states with a recognizable brand. All I had to do was get people on the phone. Personally, didn't matter to me I only had one brand of product. I still was quite successful at it.

For me being successful, was having an agency to sell to someone as an exit strategy. Something that just did not depend on me being & doing Everything. That meant an office & staff. [I had no idea when starting the agencies that "life" was going to throw me a curve & I'd have to sell to move on. Life just happened.]

Indy is harder as one has to know everything & you have no brand or "turn key" system. [kind of like a franchise] Just depends on what you want & how long you have to get there.

Starting a Med-supp/Health/Life agency. No idea. But I sold a bunch of life via P&C. I know guys that have sold a fair amount of health in their P&C agency also.

Just depends on Your Vision of Your agency 1-3-5-10 years from now. It can be quite rewarding.

One other thing I know. Better to hit the ground running when you start your insurance business. X-date, dial for $$ and/or buy leads. IMO, you must get activity, meaning sales, from the FIRST day you open up shop. Waiting 6 months to become an "expert" at the products before you sell them will just slow down your earnings & cause some to get out of the business.

Study, become a student of your chosen profession & start Selling. You will have a lot of questions that you can't answer in the beginning. Nothing wrong with saying: "That is a good question. I'll find out & get back with you."

But don't let your lack of knowledge prevent you from quoting & writing new business! Accept the fact you Will make mistakes but don't let that stop you from writing business.

That's the way I'd do it anyway. Others may vary. "Free" advice is worth what you pay for it:)

I reserve the Right to get Smarter:idea:

I am in the construction business and am 55 years old. Have been thinking of a new career. Just recently got homeowners insurance and was happy with my newest quote. Had to do some searching but the new agent really made my day. That is what I would like to do for people, although I know this is not always possible. I understand that insurance brokers just deal with a basket of companies. And there are better deals by going to other brokers for a better quote. However I could sure use any information on what steps to take to get into this new carreer. I live in Washington and I don't believe I need a bachelors degree in this State. I like the idea of selling Home, auto, business etc. Am I being naive about this. I need better computer skills and need to learn everything from scratch about this business. Could use any advice on where to start with education. Thanks.:1confused:

I have an Independent & Captive P & C agent in Michigan for 12 years and would like to start my own agency. I know it is hard to get appointed thru insurance companies on your own. But have heard it is easier to write thru I guess you would call them broker companies like Network Link. Does anyone else know of any companies I can get in touch with regarding this ? Thanks !

Carroll/anyone using YIO,
I'm looking into purchasing Franks YIO. Any feedback 2 years later?

Thanks

Just saw this post. I did buy franks YIO....I don't use it but I did use all the training info that came along with it. I do recommend it. Problem is my old computer crashed and I lost the info!:1frown:

From my experience, you need some time in the industry first so you can even know what to expect. Just the fact that you don't know whether to go p&c or l&h tells me that you don't know what you're market's doing and that spells disaster.

You can have all the motivation in the world but the danger here is you don't know, what you don't know.

I would never go from being a hostess in a restaurant to opening my own eatery...if you get my drift.

Last edited:

Hi Insurance Forum,

After completing my 1st year of individual health insurance sales, I am inneed of your advice,

I have been selling individual health for the last 12 months. I wrote 120+apps and have 84 clients. I work thru an MGA ( though I donot know the difference of MA, MGA, IMO).

I averaged about 10 apps per month, 7 new clients per month.

My payout for major medical is between 6%-9% for yr 1 commissions and 1% or less for year 2+.

I sell supplemental policies and they pay an average of 25% yr 1 commissionsand 4% in yr 2+.

Even though I think I am doing well, I cannot make ends meet. ? I would appreciateyour replies to these questions...

Will going independent will raise my commission rates ?

If so, what are typical Year 1 and Year 2+ commission rates for MajorMedical ?

What are typical Year 1 and Year 2+ commission rates for supplemental policieslike Critical Illness, Accident/Injury only, Cancer, Dental ?

Can you advise me of some Ohiocarriers with good coverage and good commission rates ?

Thanks for helping me.

Hello Insurance Friends:

Can someone tell me the best type of business checking/savings account to open when starting an insurance agency. For some reason I recall my past boss having a premium account of some sort. I am not sure if the type of business account even matters at all any suggestions ?

</IMG>:err:

Back