I Can Sell, but who to Work For?

chrisdawnwatts

Hi, I am new here, lots of great information and active community!

First off, let me tell you that I can sell. I can sell , and do it well. Also, I am ethical in what I do. I will not lie to my prospects just to get a sell. With that in mind, I only sell products that I know are of high quality and priced accordingly for my customers. Otherwise if I knew they could get a better deal with XYZ company and better service, I would not work for ABC company.

Finally, I am looking at getting into insurance sales. I know I will need a license, but what companies fall under the guideline I previously mentioned? I do not know who the big players are and who is best to work for for insurance sales (or the worst). I was thinking of Aflac but I am hearing there are better options? (they say Aflac is saturated, however, I did an agent search on their website and there is no agent with-in 70miles of me!)

Thank you for your time and I hope to be hearing from such an active community!
Chris

Hi, I am new here, lots of great information and active community! First off, let me tell you that I can sell. I can sell , and do it well. Also, I am ethical in what I do. I will not lie to my prospects just to get a sell. With that in mind, I only sell products that I know are of high quality and priced accordingly for my customers. Otherwise if I knew they could get a better deal with XYZ company and better service, I would not work for ABC company. Finally, I am looking at getting into insurance sales. I know I will need a license, but what companies fall under the guideline I previously mentioned? I do not know who the big players are and who is best to work for for insurance sales (or the worst). I was thinking of Aflac but I am hearing there are better options? (they say Aflac is saturated, however, I did an agent search on their website and there is no agent with-in 70miles of me!) Thank you for your time and I hope to be hearing from such an active community! Chris

With what you are describing you do NOT want to work for a company. You want to be a broker.

If you work for State Farm for instance, you have to sell State Farm even if you know they are not a good value compared to others. You have to leverage the name recognition to overcome the price difference.

If you are a broker you can shop the rates for lots of companies and offer everyone a very competitive value.

Before I become a broker, I want to test the waters with just one company. I figured with the recognition of Aflac and how there are no agents in 70miles of me (according to Aflac agent search) I could start with them. I do understand what you are telling me though. I do appreciate your input, and in the end I am sure I will move forward and become a broker, but at first I want to test the waters. I am looking for the better of the companies to test the waters with.

... test the waters, Aflac is a duck... (yea I know, bad joke!)

Thank you,
Chris

I recommend going captive with either Bankers Life or Metropolitan Life. Bankers you will have mostly day hours. Metropolitan you will have many late nights. Both companies will be good for you. If asked about a third option, look and see if there is an American National Life out of Galveston, Tx office near you.

I recommend going captive with either Bankers Life or Metropolitan Life. Bankers you will have mostly day hours. Metropolitan you will have many late nights. Both companies will be good for you. If asked about a third option, look and see if there is an American National Life out of Galveston, Tx office near you.

The OP said plainly that they want to do things ethically, so why in the world would you recommend Banker's Life? If you know anything about them, then you know they teach their agents to lie! :no:

On one hand you said, "if I knew they could get a better deal with XYZ company and better service, I would not work for ABC company".....then you said something that is opposite of that by saying "I want to test the waters with just one company".

You can't have it both ways as no company can get you the best deal all the time. If you truly want to do the best job for your clients, you will be a broker.

I don't know where you are to say that there are no Aflac agents within 70 miles of you . . . . .I know that when I began, they tried to recruit me and I did go on some ride alongs with them - they saturate an area with "newbies" who continually cold call the same types of businesses. We were met with hostility. They need to have territories - at least in a metropolitan area where there are many reps. Business owners were exhausted with the "duck people" that kept coming by to call on them. .. . .I decided at that point, I'd sell products that I wanted to sell, and be totally independent. I just had to live on no money for a few years, and I took part time & temporary work to supplement while I built my business. It's much better this way. Depends on how long you can last with no money - but Aflac isn't giving you any kind of a salary or a draw, so I didn't see the point. . . . .

The OP said plainly that they want to do things ethically, so why in the world would you recommend Banker's Life? If you know anything about them, then you know they teach their agents to lie! :no:

The agents are unethical not the company and they do not teach them to lie. That is about the most ridiculous I have ever heard. I have never been with Bankers but I have friends that were and the training they give you is not go out and lie!

The agents are unethical not the company and they do not teach them to lie. That is about the most ridiculous I have ever heard. I have never been with Bankers but I have friends that were and the training they give you is not go out and lie!

They DO train agents to lie.

American Income, Combined, Western Southern, Trans America, AGLA are all better places to start than AFLAC is in my estimation.

Back