Marketing Idea

:idea:There is a local telemarketing company in town. The employees earn min wage at best. My idea is to get a couple of them that need extra income and pay them $5 per set appt, and a $20 bonus for all business written from thier leads. They could earn $200 a week and i get 40 appts. I would provide the scripts and a survey of questions to ask along with contact info. of people to call. With a little tweaking and a phone pro... it will work. Alright...any comments?:)

Can't you get in trouble for having an unlicensed person speak with potential customers? Also the telemarketer could send you hundreds of so-called "leads" to make his or her $5 comission. Who says the person has to actually be interested. All the telemarketer has to do is say please call this number ###-###-#### and there is his $5. I guess chances are that the person will not call you unless they are somewhat interested, but just a thought...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I just read where you said $5 per set appointment (so im assuming the telemarketer doesnt get paid until the lead actually comes in for an appointment ?), so disregard the second part of my reply lol

Last edited:
As far as I understand, you can't get in trouble for having an un-licensed person making phone calls for you. However, you have to make sure they know what they can and cannot say.
Now I don't know all the rules on this as I make the calls myself, but I would imagin it would be along the lines of representing themselves as a licensed agent, or quoting rates, etc. Check with your state laws to be sure, but I know a few guys in my office that pay telemarketers to make calls for them. Not sure what they pay them, but the agents bring in business so it must be working to some extent.
On a side note, I considered grabbing a few college kids and trying this as well, but I always was taught that the sales process begins on the first contact. I want their first contact and first impression of me to be with... me.
But, it's all in the numbers and if you go ahead with it, good luck! Let us know how it turns out and how the ratios look.

They both went fine. Both had a lot to offer. Met offered $800 per week for 20 weeks. Moo offers the career financing. But we buy people not companies, and the moo agent spent more time with me. Met talked business, moo talked about family. I think it's gonna be moo. I liked the career financing. Moo offers hefty bonuses that are performanced based. They also deal with just a few products and easier to learn.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
;)
What are you trying to get them to set appointments for?
Not sure what product yet. Probably start out with one as a trial. Heres how the pay plan will work. $5 bucks per set and confirmed appt(customer must call and confirm we have an appt b4 they get the $5) They also get a bonus of $20 for business written from their leads. They will also get a monthly bonus. $100 for ten policies written, $150 for fifteen, $200 twenty or more. Their goal is 40 appts per week. If ten policies are written they should make between $1400-$1600 per month. more than their min wage job. and I supply milk and cookies.;)

Last edited:
Can you pay a non-licensed person a bonus based on a sale? I thought you could only pay a non-licensed person for setting an appointment. I hope I am wrong, but I am fairly certain (talking 99% here) that at least here in Indiana that is how it works.

she will not be employed. she would be more like a friend helping me.....ya got me

OK, well it doesn't sound like you would run into trouble for that then.
To all you vets out there (particularly those familiar with Indiana law) would it be legal for me to hire someone who is unlicensed and pay them more or only when I make a sale. I can't afford to hire a telemarketer right now, but if it was legal to do it this way I might just consider it. A lot of my friends are hurting from this economy and might be able to use a little extra cash.

Back