New Agent: Should I Invest in a Printer?

Congrats on the sales!!!

Guess those companies haven't heard of on-line applications. :)

Thanks. And nope. Im not sure that any LTCI products have online apps.

I guess online apps have made the need for a fast feed type scanner less and less for many agents. But if you sell annuities or LTCI there are no online apps. And while some life carriers have online apps, not all do, and even the ones that do dont always have it for all products. I also sell 401K plans and group benefits, so most of those, at least the initial plan installation forms, are all paper.

I am sure that everyone's business, operations, business model, etc., is different. Some companies have gone to end to end or straight through processing, others do online, and so forth. Others do not. For me, regardless of the company/carrier -- scanning is a critical part of our business.

For the new agent, the original poster here -- obviously, this person is doing a lot of scanning. Thus, it makes sense to invest in technology that is going to help, make them more efficient, effective, etc.

The "flatbed" type scanner/copier, I agree, is brutal for multiple pages. While I am not a tech expert in this area, I think the next step up is one of the basic all in ones and they have these feeder type contraptions and can handle anywhere from 5 to 20 pages or so. Back in the day I found them to be pretty good and virtually a "disposable" type device. When I visit upstate NY for the summer, and I do some work, I have two devices -- a basic all in one that I bought and was going to use until it broke, and then I'd throw it away; and a better, more high end device which is also an all in one type machine. The former has worked and worked well for a few years, although I only use it 6 weeks a year or so, and not high-usage. I think I paid $200 for it and I've certainly gotten my money's worth and the some, a lot! I think I've scanned about 20 pages or so at a time. I don't remember.

Regardless -- you need it, get it.

Back