Advice On Payout Refusal

Budfudder

I'm after a bit of advice here.

We have a washing machine worth $1,200 new; we bought it second-hand for $600 about a month ago. A part has broken and a repairman has come out and quoted $325 (parts and labor) to repair it.

Our Homeowners Insurer has stated that they will not pay. Instead, they will give us $300 toward a new machine (after we buy it and supply them with the receipt). Of course, that means we can't get a machine of the same quality as the one we have unless we shell out about a thousand bucks, which we don't have.

The terms of our policy state (in part), under 'Limitations Of Liability', that the insurer "has the sole right to determine whether a covered system is repaired, replaced, or given a cash disbursement."

Does that mean we are totally screwed? They can just say "nope" and give us whatever payout amount they like and we can do nothing?

Any advice is more than welcome. Thanks in advance.

Your first issue is that this shouldn't be a claim, a broken washing machine is a home maintenance issue. If you turn in every broken part or thing around your home you will get non-renewed. Whats your deductible? I wouldnt be surprised if it was a $1000 so I'm not sure why you would get anything. Also most policies have exclusions for wear and tear type claims like these as well.

As to determining how the pay out, yes its pretty much up to them how they settle a claim and most of the time they will insist on replacement and not just give out cash.

I would just forget about it and pay out of pocket. Maintenance claims like these are a big part of why most carriers are raising home prices and deductibles.

Granted I haven't been selling insurance for a year, but why on Earth would this be covered? Sure doesn't sound like something that should be covered. Hopefully you have an agent and not 1-800-Cheap-Insurance.

Wonder if he has some type of equipment breakdown coverage on his policy. That would cover that washing machine in this situation. HOWEVER - turning in a $300 home claim is asking, and I mean ASKING, to get a non renewal.

Wonder if he has some type of equipment breakdown coverage on his policy. That would cover that washing machine in this situation. HOWEVER - turning in a $300 home claim is asking, and I mean ASKING, to get a non renewal.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

You have no idea what your yapping about......:goofy:

I wouldn't say you are screwed. You still got a 1200 washer for 925. I can't believe they would pay anything. I would talk to your agent before submitting claims like this.

Back