New TCPA Rules for Oct 16 2013 Telemarketing

For some reason, my long post is not getting approved, but here's the deal:

1) this law was created to stop robo-calls to cell phones. Automated calls to cell phones, back in the mid-2000s when most cells did not have unlimited minutes, was a big problem.
2) We are not computers, we are live people, and you're using something like Callfire/Mojo/Salesdialers, you can plug in your number for caller ID. The end receipient has NO way to know if you're using a dialer. None.
3) The RIAA went after a few people for using Napster a few years ago, then stopped. How many people used Napster vs how many got sued? The feds do NOT have the time or resources to go after business owners either!
4) It would look UNBELIEVABLY BAD and the small business community would be UP IN ARMS if the feds prosecuted Your Friendly Neighborhood Agent for offering lower rates to someone in their community. Let's keep in mind what kind of calls%2

----------

For some reason, my long post is not getting approved, but here's the deal:

1) this law was created to stop robo-calls to cell phones. Automated calls to cell phones, back in the mid-2000s when most cells did not have unlimited minutes, was a big problem.
2) We are not computers, we are live people, and you're using something like Callfire/Mojo/Salesdialers, you can plug in your number for caller ID. The end receipient has NO way to know if you're using a dialer. None.
3) The RIAA went after a few people for using Napster a few years ago, then stopped. How many people used Napster vs how many got sued? The feds do NOT have the time or resources to go after business owners either!
4) It would look UNBELIEVABLY BAD and the small business community would be UP IN ARMS if the feds prosecuted Your Friendly Neighborhood Agent for offering lower rates to someone in their community. Let's keep in mind what kind of calls and this law was designed to stop - it's not designed to stop us, it's designed to stop robo-calling scammers overseas.
5) If you want to manually dial numbers using your own phone, then that is totally legit. If you want to stop using a dialer that has that exact same caller ID number on it, that's your prerogative.

The guys here saying blood is about to be let by people who don't fall in line are SELLING LISTS. Keep in mind, 2 of the previous posters profit by scaring you, because they claim to be selling lists that are "FCC compliant."

I'm really surprised at all the nervous comments here.

How would a US law stop an overseas scammer? Probably one of the dumbest things I've read in here...

So, who here has a phone that doesn't not any memory feature to automatically dial a number? Not even re-dial?

Unless you are going to go buy an old rotary dial phone, how can you ever be compliant if you aren't getting prior approval?

How would a US law stop an overseas scammer? Probably one of the dumbest things I've read in here...[/QUOTE]

exactly, it won't just like it will be barely-applied at home. The point is, it's a feel-good law designed to show the govt is doing something to stop spam calls

Look on the bright side. The government is currently shut down. You can't even make DNC complaints at this point.

Yeah. I have many unhappy agents as we are pulling down our Telemarketing next week.

Biggest problem is that I have been to 3 Telemarketing attorneys and all 3 give a different answer and make it impossible to risk the business. This is costing 14 telemarketing jobs from our agency. Great progress.....BS.

Been planning on bringing it down since the summer. Our predictive dialer and live telemarketing has been very successful and will be missed. Hopefully, some case law will allow the dialer to be used very soon.

If getting cell phone suppressed lists is your only problem hit me up and I can get you compliant lists. My dialer should also be able to suppress them by the end of the month.

Let's see what the score is so far, just because its a bit funny.....

Lead guy - you have to get new leads.

Telemarketer guy - Don't worry, be happy. You won't get caught.

List guy - I have compliant lists

Cell phone sales guy - we've added back in the rotary dial function, buy your shoe phone today!

Bottom line, everyone is going to do what they think is right. There are days that I get 5 or 6 calls from companies that are clearly coming from dialers. I know this because of the LONG pause before they pick up. Outside of that, I can make assumptions, but can't prove much.

I'm looking forward to the piece and quiet on the 16th.

If you think this is tough for telemarketing, bill collectors have to HATE this law!!!! But then, they tend to do whatever they want anyway.

Dan

Look on the bright side. The government is currently shut down. You can't even make DNC complaints at this point.

lol....this

:yes:

----------

Cell phone sales guy - we've added back in the rotary dial function, buy your shoe phone today!

Bottom line, everyone is going to do what they think is right. There are days that I get 5 or 6 calls from companies that are clearly coming from dialers. I know this because of the LONG pause before they pick up. Outside of that, I can make assumptions, but can't prove much.

If you think this is tough for telemarketing, bill collectors have to HATE this law!!!! But then, they tend to do whatever they want anyway.

Dan

The reality of this law will fall in the middle, not on the extremes. So, your highlighting of various statements should prove that point.

Also, we're professionals, we know what a dialer behaves like. The average person doesn't, and even if you get one who does, are they going to go through the complaint process?

Dan,
New leads only if one wants to use an auto dialer:)

Picking up the phone & calling the consumer....not an issue.
Personally, I don't want to be in the cross hairs of a shake down law suit to prove I did or did not dial the consumer in a compliant way.

Like I also said...I & others in the business that do leads the right way....think this will help weed out the crap.:biggrin:

Also, we're professionals, we know what a dialer behaves like. The average person doesn't, and even if you get one who does, are they going to go through the complaint process?

I'll be selling lists that include cell phones and ones without them. I'll make money either way which probably removes much bias. That being said:

Why not do the right thing?

Dan

Those are my calls to you. I am not using a dialer, the long pause is a chance for me to catch my breath from the effort of dialing all 11 digits on my old rotary phone.

Back