Best Times of Year for Direct Mail/waste of $ This Time of Year??

scagnt83

Worldwide Expert of Everything
5000 Post Club
OK, so I have never sent out a DM marketing piece this time of year before.
Does anyone have experience sending them out this time of year?

I was thinking of having them hit mailboxes next week.
Do you find that the holiday season affects response rate negatively? If so, how bad?

I am thinking about saving my $ and waiting until the beginning of the year to do an even larger mailing; I am afraid I have waited too late in the year.... ijdk.

Any thoughts/comments based from experience would be appreciated.

Also, what time of year do you have the best response rates?

Re: Best Times of Year for Direct Mail/waste of $ This Time of Ye

My experience is any weeks leading up to a holiday are bad for responses (unless specifically holiday related).

Any weeks where children are on an altered school schedule is bad if you are targeting parents.

December as a whole is a little tougher, but not terrible. Again, this is my experience and it will depend a LOT on what you are mailing and who your target market is. Dual working parents with kids in school tend to be a bit overloaded in December, but may actually spend a moment or two longer looking at mail because they want to find the bargains.

Now, the real moral to the story???? Direct mail is one of those things you can always find a reason its a bad time to do the mailing. You are better served by setting up a regular mailing and dealing with the ups and downs of external factors. That said, I still wouldn't have pieces arrive Thanksgiving week, Christmas to New Years or 4th of July week.

Dan

Thanks for the insight.
I have been experimenting with DM some this year, but I think your right; its something that needs to be done on a regular basis if you want to maximize its effectiveness.

I might as well at least try a small mailing to test the waters this time of year... maybe a holiday greeting card with a brief call to action inside it

I have used direct mailing in NC,SC and GA the last four years. I learned early on that the week before Thanksgiving through the week of New Years were the dead zone. My best months are March through September, with April, May, September being my best response months. These are annuity mailers.

I have used direct mailing in NC,SC and GA the last four years. I learned early on that the week before Thanksgiving through the week of New Years were the dead zone. My best months are March through September, with April, May, September being my best response months. These are annuity mailers.

Sept-Oct---and April/May...

Back