Web Design, Why Does It Matter ?

Alex1

Expert
I am sure many of you wonder, what advantage does a website designed by a web designer have over a wordpress template you can have for less ? After all, both have the same end result, you end up with a website that does exactly what you want it to do ?

Thats true, you will end up with a functional website. But with so many websites offering the same service you offer, how is one to choose which is better ?

They don't have much to go by, except by similar looking website who offer the same service.

Think going to the shop to buy some beans. The only thing you know is that you need some beans, not which beans taste better. So which beans will you most likely choose ? Will you choose the can of beans that looks like the other 10 on the shelf, or the one that really stands out , pointing out how beans are good for you, and how good they will taste when you heat them up. I know im a sucker for good packaging, and that's what a website is for you. A packaging for your product. If you use a bland package that looks like the rest, many people will browse away until they find a package that they like since that's the only information they have to go by. Isn't it true that the best brands of every industry also have the best package ?

I could do the same comparison with anything ranging from chocolate bars to cars to service providers. People want something that says, yes this is a good package, and the product inside the package must be good as well.

Package sells people. It's a big factor in every industry.

Hes trying to say hes a web designer hoping people will inquire about his service duh...

1 Point for the home team.

And what I am also trying to say , is that many people overlook why having a good website is important. So I am trying to point out why it is important. Good website = better conversion rate.

Last edited:
I am trying to say is that having a good website matters, which many people tend to overlook. I mean if you spent a little reading you would have gotten that by now.

And if you really don't understand the post, I am just answering the question I put on the topic.

Good website = better conversion rate

Define good.

I have seen sites that are visually unattractive that convert and others that look really good but don't generate as much business as you would think.

Define good.

I have seen sites that are visually unattractive that convert and others that look really good but don't generate as much business as you would think.

I could say a lot about this subject. I'll make a few comments.

Most people have no real idea (other than the obvious) of what "website conversion" really means. It's like a subset of website design and a very developed industry in its own right.

The average website probably converts at about 1% to 2% across all industries. Some websites convert a lot higher, because (1) they're a "brand" and (2) they're always testing out various elements of their website homepage and inner pages.

I always tell people if you're trying to optimize for conversion, check out Amazon. Everything on their website is where it is for a reason whether it be a "$" sign that is a certain size or a call to action that is a certain color and is positioned to the left. Amazon has been testing everything for YEARS.

A lot of people want to design their own websites to save on cost. The problem with this is that most people (other than professional website designers) have no real sense of design. If they did, they'd be working as website designers.

So these same people design their own website and then ask their friends (who also have no real sense of design) what they think. That's like being a karaoke singer at a bar and asking your friends whether you have a chance of winning American Idol. The people you are asking are truthfully in no position to give you a qualified answer.

The problem with website design -- like many other Internet related professions -- is that there's probably not enough work to go around, so everybody does "everything". And they LIE.

Everybody's an "expert" -- but they fail to tell you that they only designed one website this year let alone one that converts. You find

- Computer programmers (who are also website designers)
- Computer repair people (who are also website designers)
- Internet marketing people (who are also website designers)
- Hosting companies (who are also website designers)
- Domain companies (who are also website desingers)
- 17 year old nephews and nieces (you guessed it)

Should you have a professional design your website? Well, think of it this way:

You are in a strip mall that features a bunch of retailers. From the outside most of the stores looks pretty good, well-maintained, etc. Then you look over in the corner and you see some thrift store that looks kind of low-class, hokey. Dull -- doesn't really project a very good image, and we all know first impressions count.

That's the website that you designed yourself. On top of it, creating the website took tons of your time that could have been put to better use doing what you do best (whatever you do for a living).

Back