Work Every Lead Until It is Dead!

You're an exception Larry. You're not one of those Wacko Libs.;)

I'm a Jackson Democrat. Look up Henry Scoop Jackson.

He helped make Boeing defense and believed in social programs.

There is such a thing as a fiscal democrat and there is such a thing as a conservative with compassion. Both are found somewhere in the middle. Which for some reason neither side likes anymore, but has produced the greatest success as a nation for us.

Some things we do (like meals and feeding kids at schools) have a cost that can be claimed not to have a return. Yet, that cost is smaller than the cost of not doing such things. Sometimes you spend money to avoid a greater loss.

There is such a thing as a fiscal democrat and there is such a thing as a conservative with compassion. Both are found somewhere in the middle. Which for some reason neither side likes anymore, but has produced the greatest success as a nation for us.

Some things we do (like meals and feeding kids at schools) have a cost that can be claimed not to have a return. Yet, that cost is smaller than the cost of not doing such things. Sometimes you spend money to avoid a greater loss.[/QU

I remember Scoop.

I guess I'm a Conservative with realistic compassion that doesn't have a P.C. bone in his body.:laugh:

If the family down the street's house burns down and they have nothing, am I supposed to go to the bank and take out a loan to help them...even though I can't pay my own bills? That's what our government does and that's why we're in such deep debt.

It makes no sense tome to give money to countries and help them when they'd like to blow us off the map. We have to cut that out.

Next we have to cut down on the "entitlements"...the freebies. I don't mind helping people that are down on their luck, but I despise handing money to people who won't lift a finger to help themselves and have made living on the dole a way of life!

Call me heartless, but I'm worried about me and my own 1st. Why should we work hard to support those lazy good for nothings that are a drain on our society?

Like I said, I'm a Conservative with realistic compassion that doesn't have a P.C. bone in his body.:yes:

Some things we do (like meals and feeding kids at schools) have a cost that can be claimed not to have a return. Yet, that cost is smaller than the cost of not doing such things. Sometimes you spend money to avoid a greater loss.
There are no Jacksonian (Scoop) Demoracts left in the DNC or holding office. They moved very far to the left of where he stood. Most of the Jacksonians move to the Republican arty even thought thye do not agree with the far right. (like me)...BTW, even those of us on the right believe in feeding kids and taking care of those that cannot take care of themselves.

If you're trying to balance your own budget to try and make ends meet, you have to start cutting different areas, or reducing what you spend in different areas. Why should it be any different for the government?

There are no Jacksonian (Scoop) Demoracts left in the DNC or holding office. They moved very far to the left of where he stood. Most of the Jacksonians move to the Republican arty even thought thye do not agree with the far right. (like me)...BTW, even those of us on the right believe in feeding kids and taking care of those that cannot take care of themselves.

Both parties are basically running to the extremes. Gerrymandering has gotten out of control. Too many House districts, if you win the primary you won the general election. At least the Senate is a statewide vote. Which is also why the Senate tends to be the roadblock for either party. Is is hard to be super liberal or super conservative and win a Senate seat in many states. They have to play to the middle some.

I am not aware of an equivalent to the Tea Party, although I'm sure it exists. This is basically a product of Gerrymandering. If the choice is between a moderate or an ultra-conservative, it is very easy for an interest group to drive the election and get their candidate elected. In some ways this exists for Democrats, but not quite the same. They do try to be more inclusive, so it is harder for a smaller group to drive the party.

"If the family down the street's house burns down and they have nothing, am I supposed to go to the bank and take out a loan to help them...even though I can't pay my own bills? That's what our government does and that's why we're in such deep debt"

No, but you might gather some old clothes and offer them. You might skip the steak dinner and instead make vegetable beef soup and feed your family and theirs. You might chip into the red cross who would assist those people. You might not be asked for a one to one help for a family, but you might give a couple bucks along with your neighbors to help out.

I am the product of my mom raising me and she is a child of the depression. A lot of the values I have started with her values. Probably many here have parents who shaped their values as well.

"If the family down the street's house burns down and they have nothing, am I supposed to go to the bank and take out a loan to help them...even though I can't pay my own bills? That's what our government does and that's why we're in such deep debt"

No, but you might gather some old clothes and offer them. You might skip the steak dinner and instead make vegetable beef soup and feed your family and theirs. You might chip into the red cross who would assist those people. You might not be asked for a one to one help for a family, but you might give a couple bucks along with your neighbors to help out.

I am the product of my mom raising me and she is a child of the depression. A lot of the values I have started with her values. Probably many here have parents who shaped their values as well.

That came across colder than it was meant. Of course I'd chip in, volunteer, etc., I have before.

I was trying to make an analogy of the way our government works. We provide aid(money) to other countries...when we don't have any money. We're 21 TRILLION dollars in debt, so how can we give any money to other countries...we borrow it from China.:no:

That came across colder than it was meant. Of course I'd chip in, volunteer, etc., I have before.

I was trying to make an analogy of the way our government works. We provide aid(money) to other countries...when we don't have any money. We're 21 TRILLION dollars in debt, so how can we give any money to other countries...we borrow it from China.:no:

It sounds good, but it is absolutely meaningless.

Guess How Much Of Uncle Sam's Money Goes To Foreign Aid. Guess Again! : Goats and Soda : NPR

You want to reduce the budget, you have to touch the third rail: Medicare and Social Security. Even Defense soon won't be enough to really move the numbers.

Find me an elected official who will cut Medicare and Social Security and we can talk about cutting spending to balance the budget.

For the record, I am not saying this in support or against foreign aid, social welfare programs, defense, etc. I am simply saying, if you want to have a meaningful conversation about cutting the spending to help balance the budget.

https://www.nationalpriorities.org/budget-basics/federal-budget-101/spending/

It sounds good, but it is absolutely meaningless.

Guess How Much Of Uncle Sam's Money Goes To Foreign Aid. Guess Again! : Goats and Soda : NPR

You want to reduce the budget, you have to touch the third rail: Medicare and Social Security. Even Defense soon won't be enough to really move the numbers.

Find me an elected official who will cut Medicare and Social Security and we can talk about cutting spending to balance the budget.

For the record, I am not saying this in support or against foreign aid, social welfare programs, defense, etc. I am simply saying, if you want to have a meaningful conversation about cutting the spending to help balance the budget.

https://www.nationalpriorities.org/budget-basics/federal-budget-101/spending/

I agree with everything you've said, but they have to start somewhere and foreign aid should be the 1st cut. Let's take care of our own 1st.

Then we get the lazy bums off their dead asses and make them do something for the money they get for doing nothing...even if it's picking up the trash on the side of the road(that they probably threw there to begin with).

I agree with you that touching Social Security and Medicare would mean not getting reelected...another reason for term limits. Those damned politician's main job seems to be getting elected again...and again...and again...

Back