How Terrible is this Pay Structure:

Anyone licensed deserves at a min $14-$16 an hour even in low wage market places. Now commission depends on sales skills. Renewals as well. If you're good at sales negotiate more renewals than new business commission.

Anyone licensed deserves at a min $14-$16 an hour even in low wage market places.

I don't think the labor market agrees. In most states it takes less than two weeks of courses and a relatively easy test most high school grads can easily pass with two tries. How does that get you to the $15/hour minimum territory?

Maybe we're also talking about different things, but a lot of licensed CSRs are glorified order takers and I'm not seeing the justification for the jump in pay because of the few week and few hundred dollar investment. A real producer on the other hand, that's a different story.

I don't think the labor market agrees. In most states it takes less than two weeks of courses and a relatively easy test most high school grads can easily pass with two tries. How does that get you to the $15/hour minimum territory?

Maybe we're also talking about different things, but a lot of licensed CSRs are glorified order takers and I'm not seeing the justification for the jump in pay because of the few week and few hundred dollar investment. A real producer on the other hand, that's a different story.

Totally disagree. A quality CSR is your front lines and first voice of an agency. They make or break retention. Looks like you might be hiring order takers and people who shouldn't even be paid for anything other than that.

Totally disagree. A quality CSR is your front lines and first voice of an agency. They make or break retention. Looks like you might be hiring order takers and people who shouldn't even be paid for anything other than that.

Who I would or wouldn't hire isn't really my point, the point is not everyone with a license deserves that wage IMO.

I pay my CSR 45k/year (but I dump everything on her.) I don't think less then $15/hour is a good idea....but I know agents who are paying that & they have good CSR's

Looking for all of your experience here as this question is coming up around my agency:

What's the general average you'd look at for number of accounts/policies per CSR/staff?

There's a hunch that we're fairly understaffed. We happen to have a superstar team that can be extremely productive so we're handling it, but the concern is continuing to bring on more new business at this stage.

Your experience and insight are very helpful to me, so thanks in advance

Yes, I don't have a CSR...

I would say Josh is spot on. The hurdle for licensing is fairly low. A high school level education, not even a degree, and a clean or at least fairly clean criminal record is all it takes to get licensed.

Now, when the time comes I definitely plan to look for a good CSR and compensate them well in this market. But to say anyone licensed deserves $14-16 an hour merely for holding it is a bit much.

Back