Assisted Living Life Ins

Newlifeagent

Can you write a life policy on someone that is in an assisted living home? 60yr old male, arthritis, elevated blood pressure, controlled with meds.
I have policies that I can write for his age, just dont know about while he is in assisted living
Thanks for any responses

I seem to remember something from my pre-licensing class that you can't write people in nursing homes, assisted living, hospitals etc.

UPDATE!... I've talked with 4 underwriters ( 2 each from 2 different companies) 3 out of 4 said definatly NO to writing a policy in an assisted living facility. The 4th said because the simplified app did not ask about the living facility, you might could "slide" it thru? Made me nervous.
I'm not writing it and I'm glad I went with my gut instinct.
Thanks for all of the responses.

Last edited:
Assisted liveing is very different than a nursing home. Some companies have different rules about accepting them. Your best bet is to call whichever company you are thinking of writing the person with. They will let you know if it will be a problem or not.

Boy, this would be a great question for that FMO earning overrides on your production...

Can you write a life policy on someone that is in an assisted living home? 60yr old male, arthritis, elevated blood pressure, controlled with meds.
I have policies that I can write for his age, just dont know about while he is in assisted living
Thanks for any responses

I seem to remember something from my pre-licensing class that you can't write people in nursing homes, assisted living, hospitals etc.

I'm in Raleigh, NC. I write for a Co. that has a true guarantee issue with ZERO health questions, ages 0-85! Can be used to write nursing home patients, hospital patients, etc. Assisted living center may get you better than a guar. issue policy, call the underwriter.

If you need a guarantee issue policy with ZERO health questions, ages 0-85 call me 252-292-3350...Greg. This product is only available in NC and has coverage amounts from $1k-$10k.

Use Monumental Life and he will have day one coverage and will cost a bunch less than G.I.
They only ask if a person is confined to a nursing home or long term care. Checking with medicare.gov - long term care can be done in an assisted living center, but living there alone does not mean a person is under long term care:

<<What is Long-Term Care?
Long-term care is a variety of services that includes medical and non-medical care to people who have a chronic illness or disability. Long-term care helps meet health or personal needs. Most long-term care is to assist people with support services such as activities of daily living like dressing, bathing, and using the bathroom. Long-term care can be provided at home, in the community, in assisted living or in nursing homes. It is important to remember that you may need long-term care at any age.>>

Back