Bob Vineyard's Outstanding Article

Boy if one of us said they "may" be better off with an MA plan instead of a Medicare Supplement we would get jumped on immediately. Not sure why some of you have such a chip on your shoulder and do not even allow discussions by us "outsiders".

Boy if one of us said they "may" be better off with an MA plan instead of a Medicare Supplement we would get jumped on immediately. Not sure why some of you have such a chip on your shoulder and do not even allow discussions by us "outsiders".

The problem is the way you approached your statement. You said the following:

"The article starting out with a false statement saying when you T-65 may be the only chance you will ever get to choose a Medicare Supplement."

You accused him of making a false statement. It isn't a false statement. Some of us can admit when we're wrong. Others just continue to attack. Personally, I offer both MAPD and Med Supp. I feel Med Supp is superior to MAPD but realize a Med Supp isn't for everyone. Ultimately I let the client decide. I just provide the education. Either way I am gaining a client.

I find that Medicare Supplement provides higher commissions that MA only sales especially with the hair cut for renewals.

I find that Medicare Supplement provides higher commissions that MA only sales especially with the hair cut for renewals.

What "hair cut." The commission is doubled for new to MA sales, not reduced for renewals.

Of course, it all works out to about 2% of the premium so we're getting raped either way.

Rick

Same thing........

----------

Same thing........ Renewal commission only on mapd vs 25% level with med sups

Same thing........

----------

Same thing........ Renewal commission only on mapd vs 25% level with med sups

But lifetime on MAPD so there is potential for MAPD commission to exceed Med Supp in the long run. Say the average commission on a Med Supp is $300 per year for 6 years, then it drops considerably for 4 more years and then goes away (we'll just assume the client never changes). That's a little better than $2,000 over 10 years. MAPD is now $429 first year and $215 renewal. That's $2,364 over 10 years.

But let's say you move the Med Supp client after 3-4 years and get a new 6 year period. Now you're at 10 years of $300. That's $3,000. Not a huge difference which is easily eliminated in years 11-15 while getting $215 per year on MAPD and very little on Med Supp.

Point is, in the long run there isn't much difference. However, the service on a MAPD is greater than Med Supp (i.e. - running comparisons each year to make sure meds are still covered, doctors still in network, etc.).

Back