Captive Agent Selling Other Carriers "on the Side"

Texxus

dallas
I have a situation where a captive rep has worked his way into several doc's offices that are dropping the insurance carrier that he now works for as a captive. When I approached one of those offices, the office person asked for my business cards to give to patients and that she would call me the next day after verifying that their agent is now captive. That was Wednesday and she hasn't called yet! Tomorrow, ill go physically to the office and verify the situation myself in a diplomatic way. Although I appreciate that the agent "got there first", I don't see how he can properly work as a captive for the dropped company as well as for other carriers on the side. If his captive insur co finds out (not by me), they might terminate him, but that would put him squarely into the doctors' offices again. I imagine that he sought captive employment for a consistent salary , leads and benefits. Why would he put that in jeopardy?
I'm also thinking that maybe he introduced the doctor's office to an agent who is family or friend. Ill hopefully find out tomorrow. He hasn't been doing MA for a long time (2011). Maybe he sees nothing wrong with it? Comments?

What's there to comment on? They will either use you or the other agent. Maybe both? If he is cheating on his captive company then I'm sure he will get caught. It's really not any of our business.

I'm having a hard time understanding what specifically you're asking but here's a tip from someone who's been there on both sides.

This happens MUCH more often than you think. And the doctors are all on board with who can 'feed' them the best because they want to make their profits too. Do NOT think for a minute they truly care about doing what's right - it's all about kick back!

Also, the system doesn't always allow them to do right - even if they want. This is more prevalent in larger metro areas.

So the bottom line: be really careful before you open up this can of worms. Trust me!!!!

Do what you can ethically to secure the business and don't worry about the other agent. That agent is none of your concern.

I'm having a hard time understanding what specifically you're asking but here's a tip from someone who's been there on both sides.

This happens MUCH more often than you think. And the doctors are all on board with who can 'feed' them the best because they want to make their profits too. Do NOT think for a minute they truly care about doing what's right - it's all about kick back!

Also, the system doesn't always allow them to do right - even if they want. This is more prevalent in larger metro areas.

So the bottom line: be really careful before you open up this can of worms. Trust me!!!![/QUOT

Thanks. But if that agent has so much wherewithal to give them more business, why is he choosing to be company employed instead of indie? By "kickbacks", are you referring to giving the doc more patients or actual $$ changing hands?

Thanks. But if that agent has so much wherewithal to give them more business, why is he choosing to be company employed instead of indie? By "kickbacks", are you referring to giving the doc more patients or actual $$ changing hands?

This agent working both roles could have a variety of reasons. Maybe the best of both worlds... milking one cow on one side being captive for the bennies and salary and learning exp., while doing the indy straight cut throat hustle on the side.

Regardless, there are tons of doctors out there who are greedy enough you can 'partner' with and make $$$ assuming you can throw them the right bone - and what I mean by bone is - make sure there's enough fat on it, not just meat. They love the fat!!!

(Patients - money - other gifts - yes - to all of the above you asked!) :no:

This agent working both roles could have a variety of reasons. Maybe the best of both worlds... milking one cow on one side being captive for the bennies and salary and learning exp., while doing the indy straight cut throat hustle on the side.

Regardless, there are tons of doctors out there who are greedy enough you can 'partner' with and make $$$ assuming you can throw them the right bone - and what I mean by bone is - make sure there's enough fat on it, not just meat. They love the fat!!!

(Patients - money - other gifts - yes - to all of the above you asked!) :no:

When I approached the office person today, I was told that the captive guy came over the next day and referred the business to his "partner". His collateral had been removed from the office. She said that she would give out both my card and the partners'. I really don't believe her. If she had phoned me and been a little more up front with me, I would think differently.

Back