Changes: The importance of Sharing

honestagent

Guru
100+ Post Club
Hello everybody.

I have a few comments to make regarding a few things that have surfaced this week and I'd like to share this information with you.

First, and most importantly, I cannot cannot emphasize how very very grateful I am to have found this forum. I have met some extraordiary individuals who have taken their valuable time to share their expertise on products, marketing, practice, and other items that I am momentarily failing to enumerate, which I am most appreciative.
The bottom line is: those folks have shared with me the accurate and good things we, as independent agents need to do, so we can do good for others. Again, I am very appreciative to these giving individuals.

Second, as an independent agent, I have come to see, experience, learn, and hear how fmos operate - the good, bad, ugly, and indifferent. That said, it is PIVITAL that we, connect with other independent agents to exchage what we are experiencing in the field. NO FMO is going to tell you what an agent out in the field is encountering - assuming an agent is willing to candidly share. The point is: if somebody or some bodies are out there 'fielding' or running appointments on a certain company consistenly and doing things right, and expectations are not being met, it is critical that agents share informaton because I strongly believe and know this will help us be more prudent with our time, money, and most importantly, how to best service our clients on that individual company - should we have written that company. With the continuous changes that CMS is making and the companies as well, this is absolutely and undoubtedly imperative.

Third, to rise in this business as an independent, I do not need to tell you all how difficult in can be at times. Where we know, "the highs are the highs and the lows are the lows." Again, that said, this is why exchanging information can be very cost effective for all of us. All of us. By no means, am I suggesting to share your 'secrets' of how you drum up your business, (THAT WOULD BE PRETTY DARN NEAT THOUGH IF YOU WANTED TO SHARE THAT :biggrin: ) but I am suggesting to share your experiences with the companies you have written and how they're handling things such as how Policy Doctor started a thread on Coventry and how they process their claims. Some other folks jumped in and responded with their input. That is great! Morevoer, the thread on Universal. Again, a lot of kind people came on to share their experiences. This information is priceless to agents so we can be better prepared to manage our clients and future clients and handle our service work most efficiently.

Last, in the past 24 hours, as my prime example to highlight the theme of my post is regarding Wellcare. Two weeks ago, I received an email / forward from an agent who is also a very good friend of mine, from her FMO that spoke to attending some required on line training with Wellcare. Today, I received an email from a different FMO who does not have my Wellcare contract, but was kind enough to pass this forward to me, stating: For agents who sold PFFS plans, those agents must attend this required course by 3/30 and pass with a 100% score on a test following this training course, or commissions will be suspended! Wow! Another change. Surprise!!!! ???? :goofy: By the way, the commission statement was not mentioned in the first forward I received from my friend / agent two weeks ago.

Now, my FMO did not know about this when I called them earlier today and I passed this email to them - the holders of my contract. I then jumped on the phone and called two dear friends who are agents that have written much of Wellcare and told them who are financially in a whole right now. Had I not have shared this information with my two agent friends, (which by the way, their Wellcare contract is with my upline as well) they would not be paid or paid in a somewhat timely fashion -assuming if my FMO never got the memo or got it too late in the month of March. My agent friends, however, now have this information because I passed it to them. Again, the importance of sharing, I feel, is ablsolutely necessitated so we can all be successful, and truly help those folks we serve.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to sharing and exchanging the wealth of knowledge and expertise.

HH

Last edited:
I think that you have captured the true nature of the board. Agents who do not want to communicate or do the best they can, probably would not post (or read any posts) here.

One nice thing is that there is no real competition here. I do not mind sharing my prospecting methods here since I am not too worried about running into any of you in the streets. And if I do, it is a pleasant visit!

What I do:

Senior Centers - offer a seminar, or talk to them at their lunch deals - while you are there, see who else is leaving fliers and work with them (like financial planners)
Pharmacies - Talk to the pharmacists. Give them a break down of Part D for them to post with your name and number on it.
School Districts - They may loose coverage at 65. There is an agent in our office that works with a big one out here, and gets a lot of biz from it
Other Agents - P&C agents usually do not mess with Medicare - bounce referrals off each other - Nationwide insurance has good senior rates on homes and cars
Referrals - call your book of business and say hi

Anyone else have any other tid-bits?

Thanks for putting in your thoughts here Midwest. And I agree whole-heatedly.

Here's my input: Buy leads. Call. Work older leads. A lead is a lead old or not till they say: "Don't call me again or take me off your list!" :biggrin:

Provide annual policy reviews to see if changes would be better.

Ask for referrals.

I don't know how else to do this most cost effectively to drum up the bz! You know, the most challenging part of this rewarding job??!!! Diversify, I know that one is for certain.

Thanks again Midwest.

Back