Insurance Through Spouses' Job at Walmart

larymes

Super Genius
If a beneficiary has medicare, and also insurance through their husband,who works at walmart, if they join an MA plan, will they still be able to use the walmart insurance for their meds for a cheaper price? Since the walmart insurance has nothing to do with medicare?

Is the WM plan real insurance or is it ancillary coverage?

If a true major med plan that is primary, Medicare is secondary. They don't need Part B or D in that situation, and they don't need a MAPD (or Medigap) unless they want to drop the WM plan.

Well you really need to know that before recommending a change. AFAIK, Aetna isn't in the ancillary business.

Its through her spouse. She wouldn't be able to keep the aetna if her husband still pays the premium for her part?

Its through her spouse. She wouldn't be able to keep the aetna if her husband still pays the premium for her part?

If she were able to keep the WM plan she would have 2 primary carriers ........ WM and MAPD.

Medicare isn't supposed to allow that to happen.

I can say conclusively, that WM insurance for Medicare eligible spouses isn't worth the premiums they pay. They'd be better off on a medigap/pdp combination for less money. The only excemption is if they are on high dollar drugs and the drug benefit makes it worth it and when I say high dollar, I mean hitting the catastrophic phase on a typical part d in the first quarter.

I finally got word worked through the older local WM crowd, slowly pulling them all off the work place plans.

Back