New Anthem AOR Rules?

Franz Kafka

Guru
1000 Post Club
Just got an e-mail that said Anthem CA would begin paying new AOR agents on their MA and Supp plans. I see chaos on the horizon. How do you veterans plan to protect your clientele?

Just got an e-mail that said Anthem CA would begin paying new AOR agents on their MA and Supp plans. I see chaos on the horizon. How do you veterans plan to protect your clientele?

I don't think I'll lose too many of my current clients to another agent. But I am picking up clients of other agents.

Rick

My understanding is that the "new" agent must be AHIP certified and deemed "ready to sell" fully MAPD/PDP certified with Anthem before the agent can even submit an AOR. Agents who are not AHIP Certified and deemed "ready to sell" will not have their AORs honored.

Also, I heard that any AOR will be reported back to the original agent (like group) and that agent will have the opportunity to preserve the client.

United Healthcare already does this in my market. A prospect can be switched from "complete" to evercare "chronic" or "dual elig" and get a commission. You constantly have to be watching your enrollees.

There are 110K people losing their Anthem PPO in the next 3 months. Anthem will certainly be aggressive contacting them.

Should the company move them to another MA or Supp, the original agent will still be retained.

I'm sure that for every one I might lose to another agent, I'll pick up 10-20.

Rick

Change agents only on group. They do not let it go on for individuals.

This is not individual, it's Medicare, and the e-mail direct from Anthem to agents was delivered last night at 5:38 PM.

AOR is allowed on Medicare business for at least AEP 2011 with consideration to the restrictions I posted above.

AOR is allowed on Medicare business for at least AEP 2011 with consideration to the restrictions I posted above.

It didn't say anywhere that it was only for 2012 AEP. I wonder if the change can be made even during lock-in period.

It didn't say anywhere that it was only for 2012 AEP. I wonder if the change can be made even during lock-in period.

It does say it's for Jan 2012 effective dates. This is in the 29 page pdf in the link included in the email because why make it easy to understand when you can .... oh hell, it's Anthem.

Rick

IN MY OPINION poaching clients of other agents is... or can be... or can look... somewhat unprofessional.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=YMMV
I've been doing more work in the senior market because so many of my friends and neighbors are T65s (as I will be in a year.)

When they call me I always ask them whom they bought their current health policy from and when they tell me the name I suggest that they call their agent because "Susan, I don't purposely try to steal clients. It's not how I do this business."

Many of them appreciate that "sentiment" because many are in sales or self-employed. It has helped me get new business and I think it is a better plan than trying to "snare" clients of other agents. Let the clients make up their mind.

I think it is a better methodology. I used to only have two clients... now I have four... so you can see that it works!! :D

Per usual, YMMV.

Al
My website

Back