New to Med Sup

I picked up 3 new med supps this year using precise leads, 2 with f2f and one over email. I find email really easy with med supps since there isn't much to negotiate

As I said I am throwing out ballpark numbers. I must have hit a hornet's nest talking about agents who sell products to consumers based on commission payouts and the ease of sale. I feel like Gordon Ramsay in Kitchen Nightmare talking with defiant business owners that their food sucks. Well here you go guys: agents who sell policies to consumers due to easy of sale and commission amount are scum of the earth and the biggest reason our industry is over regulated and has a bad reputation. I spit on all like that. Not accusing anyone here as seems some of you guys do sell all product types, but I feel a large number of users here are greedy and in it for the money. Hope Karma finds you all soon. Later.

I sell FE in a very heavily saturated MA market. Not much opp to cross sell MS and from experience I'm not sure I want to deal with MA. I ask to see Medicare cards when making FE sales to verify their SS# and more importantly, to find out about possible health insurance sales opps. The healthy people love MA but the sick folks ALL complain about MA. Either their network closed its doors or they've been forced to switch doctors several times or drugs change over and over causing frustration.

I could be wrong since I'm new to senior health insurance but the fact that MA is 100% government funded tells me care is a very low priority and like Obamacare, looks better than it works. Zombie, Your way of thinking sounds limited to what you know as opposed to being open to learning more about what you don't understand.

I could be wrong since I'm new to senior health insurance but the fact that MA is 100% government funded tells me care is a very low priority and like Obamacare, looks better than it works. Zombie, Your way of thinking sounds limited to what you know as opposed to being open to learning more about what you don't understand.

Just to clarify, MA is 100% taxpayer funded. The guberment has no money.

And the right MA plan works fine if everyone understands the limitations. And it is very area specific.

Rick

All this back and forth over medicare products reminds me of left/right political polemic, when the reality is, both products (MS & MAPD) have their place.

I agree that MS is by far a superior product and I strongly urge all of my senior clients to go that route paired with a PDP. However, there are many that either;

1.) Can't afford the premiums or simply won't pay them.
2.) Have missed their OEP/GI period, are unhealthy and won't qualify for MS.
3.) Are on SSDI and are under 65 and can't/won't pay the exorbitant under 65 MS premiums.
4.) Are on both Medicare and Medicaid and are "dual eligible" and are a perfect fit for a SNP.

For this group, MAPD is absolutely worth it if their doctors/hospital are in network. Furthermore, for the SNP/SEP demographic, you can sell MAPDs year round, not just during AEP.

Yes, MAPD is a complete pain in the ass every year with testing, red tape, SOAFs, etc...but, why would you leave money on the table when it really is low hanging fruit AND gives the individual better coverage than what they would have with just original medicare? In my humble opinion, it's absolutely worth it to provide both options to your clients. Strongly encourage them to go with MS because it's the right thing to do, but don't just walk away empty handed and leave them with just original Medicare. Just silly not to offer MAPD.

The Westfall method works great for phone sales of MS (I can personally attest), but if you don't also offer MAPD, you're walking away from a substantial client base and source of income that you wouldn't have otherwise.

My $0.02... ;)

Last edited:
All this back and forth over medicare products reminds me of left/right political polemic, when the reality is, both products (MS & MAPD) have their place. I agree that MS is by far a superior product and I strongly urge all of my senior clients to go that route paired with a PDP. However, there are many that either; 1.) Can't afford the premiums or simply won't pay them. 2.) Have missed their OEP/GI period, are unhealthy and won't qualify for MS. 3.) Are on SSDI and are under 65 and can't/won't pay the exorbitant under 65 MS premiums. 4.) Are on both Medicare and Medicaid and are "dual eligible" and are a perfect fit for a SNP. For this group, MAPD is absolutely worth it if their doctors/hospital are in network. Furthermore, for the SNP/SEP demographic, you can sell MAPDs year round, not just during AEP. Yes, MAPD is a complete pain in the ass every year with testing, red tape, SOAFs, etc...but, why would you leave money on the table when it really is low hanging fruit AND gives the individual better coverage than what they would have with just original medicare? In my humble opinion, it's absolutely worth it to provide both options to your clients. Strongly encourage them to go with MS because it's the right thing to do, but don't just walk away empty handed and leave them with just original Medicare. Just silly not to offer MAPD. The Westfall method works great for phone sales of MS (I can personally attest), but if you don't also offer MAPD, you're walking away from a substantial client base and source of income that you wouldn't have otherwise. My $0.02... ;)

Very good first post. That's my opinion too. If an agent is making a living focusing on Medicare it's wise to offer both but strongly position original Medicare with a Sup as the best option. But there will always be buyers for Med Advantage too.

if you don't also offer MAPD, you're walking away from a substantial client base and source of income that you wouldn't have otherwise.

I might give away maybe half a dozen potential clients who want MA. That income is not missed and it allows me time to focus on what I do best.

This sniping about MA vs Medigap is akin to the term vs perm argument. One is not inherently better than the other. Each has a place. I know agents that focus on markets that have a need for perm insurance and rarely write term.

Also know agents that sell only term and will walk away from perm prospects.

I don't sell anything, but I do a very good job of explaining how Mcare works and the differences in MA vs Medigap. Prospective clients choose what is best for them.

I don't sell anything, but I do a very good job of explaining how Mcare works and the differences in MA vs Medigap. Prospective clients choose what is best for them.

Likewise, but if they choose MAPD and you don't/won't write it, you're walking away from income. To each their own, but if I did the same, I'd be walking away from an extra 8K per month in residuals...well worth the extra headache IMHO. Most of those are SNPs...a demographic that simply won't pony up for an MS anyway.

We're neighbors, Somarco...send your MAPD prospects my way...I'll gladly take care of them.

Sturmo, I have an agent much closer than TN and he handles them for me. I don't have that many that want an MA plan but he probably writes a couple each year from my referrals.

My client base are mostly middle to upper income. SNP is not my market but more power to you.

Back