Anyone Making A Living Coldcalling?

If you don't have a passion for what you are doing it is just another job. I made good money for years in large group (100 - 3000 lives) but eventually that market changed dramatically for me and I lost interest. My focus now is working with individuals and entrepreneurs offering mostly individual major med and, when it fits, small group.

Large group, now that is where I would like to be, once my agency is sufficiently large for me to spend the necessary $$ to do it aggressively.

I dream of the day that I am wheeling and dealing in that market with a blonde assistant named Trixie that prepares the meeting syllabus and flits around the room while me and the big guys talk shop.

When you are ready, Bill, give me a call. I don't know anyone named Trixie (other than the ones that appear on those bad boy cop shows) but I can give you a few pointers on the large case market.

I am completely new to the small group market. Using Reference USA for a biz list, I have called for 8 hours over 2 days and set zero appointments. I haven't kept track of exactly how many gatekeepers I have gotten past but I would guess I have spoken to no less than 30 business owners.
I realize this is for the most part a numbers game, but I was curious as to what others typically expect from a session of coldcalls.
:err:
thanks
joe

I add business to my books every year cold calling. I cold call on tuesdays of every week.
If you are new to the business and you are talking to a business owner that has been around they will know you are green. When I first started I had owners ask me that.
If you are cold calling you need to know the market condition. Who is competitive and who is not. You need to have a tool box full of idea that might interest owners.
Also having ideas that are outside of the box that owner might not of heard of.
Start small. Try cold calling groups under 7 lives when the owner might be the one answering the phone.

I write business every year from cold calling. The sales cycle usually takes atleast a year.

As far as prospecting large group you better have your pitch together. I have chased this business and my pitch over the phone still needs improvement. Anyone can call and talk about fixed cost and claims. I think you have to be able to bring something else to the table. I was prospecting one large case for the last couple of years and thought I was going to get quote this year..........................BAM they have 5 cancers on the plan. No chance of going out to market. I was crushed but there is always next year because the LE on the cancers is soon.

</IMG>

To add; sales is not a numbers game. If selling health insurance was a numbers came the failure rate would be 2% not 98%.

I respectfully disagree. Like insurance, sales can be tracked over averages of large numbers if a constant approach is involved.
And where exactly are you getting these success/failure ratios from anyway? And furthermore do you think your posts add value to this thread?

Last edited:
To add; sales is not a numbers game. If selling health insurance was a numbers came the failure rate would be 2% not 98%.

Sales IS a numbers game (with a decent presentation). The 98% failure rate is because the agent doesn't invest enough time to get his numbers in. 98% of the agents may not have the heart, desire, and ambition to do this work. The successful agents know it TRULY is a numbers agme.

I add business to my books every year cold calling....

</IMG>

ABC-

Solid advice. Thanks for the post. Its not my intention to do nothing but coldcalling, but I think that it has its merits. I also think its a great way to cut my teeth at dealing with gate keepers for later attempts at walk and talks. Do you have any thought on the walk and talk approach ?

thanks
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
healthagent-

So, if you repeat doing something wrong long enough the numbers will play out?

With 9,500 posts its obvious that the way you find new members for your little site is by sitting on here poaching all day, but do you really think sniping people with negative thoughtless posts is the best way to achieve membership? I would never join an organization or worse yet, pay to receive responses like the ones you spew out. Do us all a favor and take week off or something.

Last edited:
When you are ready, Bill, give me a call. I don't know anyone named Trixie (other than the ones that appear on those bad boy cop shows) but I can give you a few pointers on the large case market.

Funny you say that. I just met a child care center owner named Trixxie and thought it kinda funny.:D
Sales IS a numbers game (with a decent presentation). The 98% failure rate is because the agent doesn't invest enough time to get his numbers in. 98% of the agents may not have the heart, desire, and ambition to do this work. The successful agents know it TRULY is a numbers agme.

Thanks I was going to post but you took the words out of my mouth.

Last edited:
healthagent-

With 9,500 posts its obvious that the way you find new members for your little site is by sitting on here poaching all day, but do you really think sniping people with negative thoughtless posts is the best way to achieve membership? I would never join an organization or worse yet, pay to receive responses like the ones you spew out. Do us all a favor and take week off or something.

Do you have any idea who you're talking to?

Latest posts

Back