Anyone missing 1099s?

reason the IRS comes down on insurance agents is because they are on the Schedule C form deducting everything but the dogs new flea collar.

I set up a regular C corp 25 years ago (before LLC was an option) with a separate business license and business checking account. All revenue is reported under my FEIN.

There is one credit card and one debit card that is strictly for business expenses. The credit card is paid monthly from my business account.

I pay quarterly payroll and corp taxes plus year end filings and payments.

Schedule C is an open invitation to an audit, especially if you do your own taxes.

A corporation + CPA won't prevent an audit but unless you are doing something really goofy, that combo will minimize your chances.

Whatever your structure, run it like a business. Keep personal items separate. Follow IRS Publication 535 Business Expenses and you should be OK.

Most agents will never go as earned.

I understand, but those folks will need to be VERY good money managers and learn how to accurately track cash flow. Most agents fail because they are undercapitalized and have no clue how to manage what money they do have.

On top of that they are supporting themselves with advance commissions and betting on the come.

Right, that's why some of my 1099s are a couple hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars off.

Speaking of what we gross and what we actually pay taxes on, what is a good %. Obviously grossing $200k and paying income taxes on $20k with a $250k house is bad. Is there a happy medium?

I mean I dont want to get audited, but I can prove where every penny went and came from. The tricky part is what I pay myself in wages from my LLC.
There is a sweet spot formula. Watch this video.

Latest posts

Back