Are All Bankers Life & Casualty Agents ...

Re: Are All Bankers Life & Casualty Agents Liars?

I've heard of BLC suing agents that leave and replace their business and winning...using the "non compete" clause in the "standard contract" that you don't need to read. The ex BLC agents that I've run into have a tendency to have a "battered wife syndrome" kind of thing going on....I wonder why? (sarcasm). But, yes, they are all liars. Some just may not know they are lying. If they are ignorant liars for more than a couple months, they are just plain liars. In my area BLC makes a habit of selling STC/LTC combos to people that have less than 10k to their name......that burns my biscuits!
You mean that little problem with.....what's the word........uh,...oh,yah....SUITIBLITY? That's not a problem. The need to put numbers 'on the board', at the twice weekly sales meeting trumps. The "battered wife syndrome" is a good way of putting it. Any agent who leaves, is lazy, stupid and dishonest, according to them, and they make that clear to the still hanging on, screwbies, while they hand them the client list of the departed, to rewrite,.. I mean service..does the word chargeback come to mind? Form letters are mailed to the clients, to beware/notify of the departed, and to let them know, it's not in their best interest to change their polices, nor to have any contact (implied) with anyone other than them, (everyone out there is suspect). So the clients, too, feel that something dishonest/wrong was done by the former agent ( and future agents, implied)...very professional. This is why they will call the company/branch to discuss the change they've made to see if it's alright, when considering a new policy. The majority of the clients are elderly women who think they should ask permission. It's something to remember when seeing a client, that to change their policy IS in their best interest, if it provides more/equal benefits for less money, and gives them the services of one agent. Build the trust, you may be a suspect.

Last edited:

You mean that little problem with.....what's the word........uh,...oh,yah....SUITIBLITY? That's not a problem. The need to put numbers 'on the board', at the twice weekly sales meeting trumps. The "battered wife syndrome" is a good way of putting it. Any agent who leaves, is lazy, stupid and dishonest, according to them, and they make that clear to the still hanging on, screwbies, while they hand them the client list of the departed, to rewrite,.. I mean service..does the word chargeback come to mind? Form letters are mailed to the clients, to beware/notify of the departed, and to let them know, it's not in their best interest to change their polices, nor to have any contact (implied) with anyone other than them, (everyone out there is suspect). So the clients, too, feel that something dishonest/wrong was done by the former agent ( and future agents, implied)...very professional. This is why they will call the company/branch to discuss the change they've made to see if it's alright, when considering a new policy. The majority of the clients are elderly women who think they should ask permission. It's something to remember when seeing a client, that to change their policy IS in their best interest, if it provides more/equal benefits for less money, and gives them the services of one agent. Build the trust, you may be a suspect.

I totally agree!!!

Lol, just kidding...sort of.

I usually work the t65 crowd so I rarely have to convince someone that choosing the cheapest medigap policy is easy, who's the cheapest.

To fill you in, Bankers no longer offers their own Medigap plan anymore here in FL, they have been writing Colonial Penn (CP) since last June. In comparison their F plan is $198/month compared to UHC or Gerber which is $161/month.

I met with a lady this Tuesday who had already signed up with Colonial Penn (Bankers) and I proceeded to explain to her that the only difference in Medigap plans is the premium. I showed her the "Choosing a Medigap" book and showed her in writing.

Her only question was, "Well the Bankers guy said that his premiums will NEVER go up". I told her this is definitely NOT true and I told her I would call CP for her. CP said they could not confirm or deny this and that I should call Bankers. I called the Bankers agent (who happened to be the manager) and he said he didn't say that. He said he told her that she can't be singled out for a rate increase.

I hung up and told her that he is telling the truth. She can't be singled out, just like every company. She seemed very happy and signed up with me. She also told me that the Bankers guy would be by the next day and that she was going to cancel his policy.

Then of course, the next day, he stopped by her house and convinced her that her policy will never increase because they "supposedly" never had in increase in 2 years. So she is keeping her policy with him.

Now, my 2nd encounter with Bankers was 4 weeks ago. He convinced the lady to pay and additional $500/year because he said that Gerber and UHC were group policies and can cancel her at any time. I told her, that was not true. And, the policy states she can only be cancelled if she doesn't pay her premiums.

Why do Bankers agents feel the need to lie? I would never bad mouth any company to a client. I even tell the clients that I meet with that CP has a good policy. Just like UHC, Gerber and MoO. They are all the same. But why pay more for the same policy just to put extra $ in the agents pocket.

ps. All my appointments are done in their home, not over the phone and I have a good 15 minute convo with them before getting to business
Bankers Life was my very first company back in 1971 in Baltimore. I was brand-spanking new to the insurance business and was wowed by the daily commission checks the manager showed me. He drove a new Cadillac, wore $400 suits (a lot back then) and I went from number 23 to number 4 in the office my first month. Most leads came from Paul Harvey promoting the "White Cross Plan" and life seemed good, that was, until I started seeing how business was done. The top 3 guys above me were crooks! They sold little old ladies new indemnity policies but told them it was a special offer because they were such good customers. They tore the cover sheets off the policies and strongly encourged these trusting elderly clients to "put the polices in a safe place" (translation: a place where you won't think about them or see them again). I went on some leads where these precious old ladies would dump 18 polices on the table! I'm not exaggerating. Many of the polices had lapsed and could have been re-instated but these unscrupulous agents wrote them new polices in order to generate new commisssions. What a scam! When I left the company the top two agents from that office were on the front page of the Baltimore Sun and convicted of felony charges and fraud. I went on one appointment with my manager and the prospect was getting ready to be layed off from Bethehem Steel in a few weeks and I told he had all the insurance he needed right now and that he couldn't afford more, especially since he was going to lose his job. When we got into the car my manager told me to never tell a customer they had all the insurance they need. The irony is that I had quit the Baltimore City Police Department because of the corruption I found there! Amazing, huh? So that was my expereince with Bankers. Of course my story is anecdotal but it did leave a bad taste in my mouth. I can't stand dishonest agents. The license I carry in my wallet should stand for honesty and integrity. My customer has every right to expect me to be honest and do what's right for THEM -- not me. I sleep well at night.

Bankers Life was my very first company back in 1971 in Baltimore. I was brand-spanking new to the insurance business and was wowed by the daily commission checks the manager showed me. He drove a new Cadillac, wore $400 suits (a lot back then) and I went from number 23 to number 4 in the office my first month. Most leads came from Paul Harvey promoting the "White Cross Plan" and life seemed good, that was, until I started seeing how business was done. The top 3 guys above me were crooks! They sold little old ladies new indemnity policies but told them it was a special offer because they were such good customers. They tore the cover sheets off the policies and strongly encourged these trusting elderly clients to "put the polices in a safe place" (translation: a place where you won't think about them or see them again). I went on some leads where these precious old ladies would dump 18 polices on the table! I'm not exaggerating. Many of the polices had lapsed and could have been re-instated but these unscrupulous agents wrote them new polices in order to generate new commisssions. What a scam! When I left the company the top two agents from that office were on the front page of the Baltimore Sun and convicted of felony charges and fraud. I went on one appointment with my manager and the prospect was getting ready to be layed off from Bethehem Steel in a few weeks and I told he had all the insurance he needed right now and that he couldn't afford more, especially since he was going to lose his job. When we got into the car my manager told me to never tell a customer they had all the insurance they need. The irony is that I had quit the Baltimore City Police Department because of the corruption I found there! Amazing, huh? So that was my expereince with Bankers. Of course my story is anecdotal but it did leave a bad taste in my mouth. I can't stand dishonest agents. The license I carry in my wallet should stand for honesty and integrity. My customer has every right to expect me to be honest and do what's right for THEM -- not me. I sleep well at night.

This is still standard operating procedure today,.. on steroids. The CEO, Prueir, who took over in 2006, just accelerated it. They had planned rate increases on their Conseco UL's (Lifetrend Product), that were not approved by a Federal Judge in January 2011, see class action lawsuit. These were imbeded (10 years ago) in the numbers, they were expecting. Conseco went bankrupt in 2001 or thereabouts, and changed their name to CNO Financial Group last summer. Pruier "decided" to retire on July 6th, 2011 (quiet week, post-holiday). Several board members, quietly departed in March. CNO subsides are-Bankers Life and Casualty, Conseco Life, Washington National, Colonial Penn.
Bankers has dropped their med supp line,... do you think attrition and illness is going to increase the rates? Now they are rolling it to Colonial Penn Plan N, to try to be competitive, for a minute. With that pool of rolled business, that they have already started increasing the rates on, it will not be in the running for long.

They will be explaining to the shareholders, about August 2nd. Last year, they had only budgeted 10 million, for the fines and violations they were expecting, after the Market Conduct Study by 39 states, criteria, was still not met. This doesn't even begin to cover the other state's extraneous issues previously posted. Pennsylvania had to make them (Conseco) put 160 million into a trust (SHIP) to pay LTC claims, for now and in the future. That commissioner of Penn had a lot to say-see scam.com. Paulson, who made 22 billion on the housing default, decided to invest in them (when the shares were down to $1.70, which was up from .26 cents, now hovering around $7) (expectations were for it to go to $14, now they have lowered that to $8, to beat the street) don't you wonder why? The yahoo shareholder message board for CNO, has decided that Paulson is not their friend (this week)....ya think????? (STAY TUNED)
The screwbie agent puppymill continues, with the results being that the seniors they target continue to suffer the consequences. The agents are lead down a road, that is the culture of production at all costs (reference-the story of monkeys at scam.com-search Bankers), as the execs give themselves large salary and stock option increases, which has encouraged investors to apparently think it was 'the down side of an upswing'....rrright. See shareholder class action lawsuit- August 2010.
They (Bankers) changed their motto, from "We specialize in seniors" to "For the life of your retirement", in 2010. The joke has always been- "We specialize in doing seniors".
Excellent first post.

Last edited:

Well, you guys have us on a roll, discussing more lies at our scam.com site, than just the standard Medicare lying. Bankers Life and Casualty Company, sent a Complaintant in Nebraska, a letter telling him he was deceased. The DOI was not amused. Hello, more fines.
The agents lie, the company lies.

Last edited:

To answer the main question...No...not all agents are liars. Most of them dont even know that they are telling lies. It's the liars training them. I have some extensive history in the medical field so i wasnt surprised when I took to med sups so easily and wrote my first policy, on my own(cold call), w/i the first month and after being out with the trainer a few times. The one sale we did together mysteriously cancelled. And they put this ridiculous standard that you have to meet w/i 90 days or they give ya the boot which is 9 apps AND $3,000 apcs. Im sorry thats pretty hard to do when you have greedy twits for trainers, junk for leads, you absolutely refuse to be dishonest and they subtract from your total apc's when you get a charge back. Over here our plan F (i'm a soon to be ex employee of bankers in california) is only $129.25 t65 guaranteed coverage no health questions asked w/i a window. I wasnt told that the price does go up every year but only by like 4-5 bucks...actually its the same price they'd pay if they signed up at that particular age meaning that if they are 66 next year the rate would be roughly the same as if you were signing up for the first time at 66(i think dont quote me, i just looked at the price list and did some math). But guaranteed coverage and never have to pay for medical costs again? That is pretty sweet. Cept for physicals but that could be covered with just the proper coding. I dont even push drug coverage...i actually went on medicare.gov and helped out my client step by step and found them the best coverage through aarp. And unlike my trainer and other veterans...if they dont have the $ I'm not going to bug them and if they say "not interested" you know what? Im not going to get my "7" rejections before i say "have a nice day"...im gonna leave them alone. This company is one slippery...well ill keep it g-rated. :) But after being unemployed for 2+ years and not being able to find a job and benefits running out I gave it a shot...spent my last $ on that schooling & stupid exam that i passed the first time. I haven't seen many liars...the top producers def are, but there's only like 2-3 in our office and they aren't very pleasant people. But other than that the only other huge liar is the company and how it treats their agents and uses them...and i mean bad. Very corrupt, and the very few that actually make it with this company are of the same feather. I know my trainer is screwing me over...i just know. cant prove it...yet. I have a question for any other ex BLC employees...or anybody...I've been reading a lot of the horror stories that take place after you leave Bankers and i was wondering if anyone had any advice on how i can protect myself...I'm already $-400 due to "chargebacks" and i cant even afford to eat right now, and they never gave me a copy of my employment app...actually they didnt give me anything. What should i do?? I'm stressing out quite a bit. :( I've heard about them ruining credit, lawsuit harassment's, ridiculous amounts of $ being charged to you w/o a reason or documentation, getting charged for the whole year of EOC ins even though you were there 3 months, having your clients cancel their policies and rewrite new ones so your left with chargebacks, making you sound like the plague to your clients and telling them not to talk to you, and also changing your resignation to "fired" status. Any advice would sure help!

Re: Are All Bankers Life & Casualty Agents Liars? - Report Them

Yes, my experience with the company named above, and many others, is that they encourage people to lie, "because if you don't, someone else will."

Charming and sophisticated argument, right? Other people end up misleading the elderly because they haven't had training in understanding the complicated world of selling med-sup and med-advantage policies.

If you think someone is hurting your business by misleading the elderly, report him/her and his/her company to the revelant Insurance Commission of your state and the Center for Medicare Services. Both entities can be found online easily.

Whether the deception is deliberate or not is irrelevant. Please be sure and implicate the company as much as possible or they'll just scapegoat the agent.

Lol, just kidding...sort of.

I usually work the t65 crowd so I rarely have to convince someone that choosing the cheapest medigap policy is easy, who's the cheapest.

To fill you in, Bankers no longer offers their own Medigap plan anymore here in FL, they have been writing Colonial Penn (CP) since last June. In comparison their F plan is $198/month compared to UHC or Gerber which is $161/month.

I met with a lady this Tuesday who had already signed up with Colonial Penn (Bankers) and I proceeded to explain to her that the only difference in Medigap plans is the premium. I showed her the "Choosing a Medigap" book and showed her in writing.

Her only question was, "Well the Bankers guy said that his premiums will NEVER go up". I told her this is definitely NOT true and I told her I would call CP for her. CP said they could not confirm or deny this and that I should call Bankers. I called the Bankers agent (who happened to be the manager) and he said he didn't say that. He said he told her that she can't be singled out for a rate increase.

I hung up and told her that he is telling the truth. She can't be singled out, just like every company. She seemed very happy and signed up with me. She also told me that the Bankers guy would be by the next day and that she was going to cancel his policy.

Then of course, the next day, he stopped by her house and convinced her that her policy will never increase because they "supposedly" never had in increase in 2 years. So she is keeping her policy with him.

Now, my 2nd encounter with Bankers was 4 weeks ago. He convinced the lady to pay and additional $500/year because he said that Gerber and UHC were group policies and can cancel her at any time. I told her, that was not true. And, the policy states she can only be cancelled if she doesn't pay her premiums.

Why do Bankers agents feel the need to lie? I would never bad mouth any company to a client. I even tell the clients that I meet with that CP has a good policy. Just like UHC, Gerber and MoO. They are all the same. But why pay more for the same policy just to put extra $ in the agents pocket.

ps. All my appointments are done in their home, not over the phone and I have a good 15 minute convo with them before getting to business

Hey Crystalyze...if you want to send a private message, I'll tell you what you need to know.

jlchan33- You heard that one too. The ole, you might as well lie, to keep up with the top producers. Left alot of business on the table,.. it wasn't in the seniors best interest. Gotta meet my maker someday.

I agree. Report them to the Senate Committee on Aging, as well as the DOI.

Latest posts

Back