Building a Medicare Book Without Prospecting

Where do you do DM with over the phone sales in TX? Do you mind sharing that info?

I haven't Yet. I have sold TX mainly on internet leads. But I am very intrigued By FLM2's approach, Not as a replacement from what I currently do but an IN addition to type thing

I honestly don't think there is any magic in what I do through direct mail, the response by phone is fairly low (0.4%) and lots of it is based on my also being a Medicare recipient.

What I am good at is converting almost everyone who calls me into a client as well as generating some additional referrals-I believe the essence to that is not only understanding Medicare in detail but also offering a wide variety of plans, both Med Supps and MAPD, from all the major companies offering plans.

I truly take an educational approach when meeting with clients, in particular explaining Parts A, B, and D, and doing enough fact finding to understand both their needs and budget.

There are plenty of other agents whose production dwarfs mine, including a bunch who post on these forums, but I've never thought of this as a competition-I do what works for me, try to do it the best way I know how, and understand that while I don't write the most business I have really high persistency (both in Medicare and ACA health insurance) because my clients trust me and value my input.

No one would be crazy enough to post where they successfully market.

Because there aren't 10,000 people a day in the US turning 65?

Not everyone is desperate and it was a legit question.

Some people believe in casting bread upon the water. Guess you aren't one of those....

Because there aren't 10,000 people a day in the US turning 65? Not everyone is desperate and it was a legit question. Some people believe in casting bread upon the water. Guess you aren't one of those....

When I first got into this biz, I assumed 1 or 2 states would "magically" be much better to target than any other state.

Well, I was wrong.

There will be good parts and bad parts to market to in any state.

My personal preferences for target demographic:

- Areas that are more 'Rural' (These folks tend to not be marketed to as much as the city folks).

- Areas with a Medicare Advantage penetration % less than 30% (If you also offer MA, this might not be as important to you).

- Checking that the carriers you offer and are contracted with are competitively priced in the area you are marketing to (This one sounds silly, but seems to be forgotten about by agents all the time).

When I first got into this biz, I assumed 1 or 2 states would "magically" be much better to target than any other state.

Well, I was wrong.

There will be good parts and bad parts to market to in any state.

My personal preferences for target demographic:

- Areas that are more 'Rural' (These folks tend to not be marketed to as much as the city folks).

- Areas with a Medicare Advantage penetration % less than 30% (If you also offer MA, this might not be as important to you).

- Checking that the carriers you offer and are contracted with are competitively priced in the area you are marketing to (This one sounds silly, but seems to be forgotten about by agents all the time).

Totally agree with the "Rural" part, and the MAPD market less than 30% market penetration part. Love to drive up to a seniors house from 'the City' and they make coffee and ask me in to 'set a piece' (ie: to sell a couple of pieces:biggrin:)

You're right, Fortune202, in one state the rates can be dramatically different for each carrier based on their actuarial data for that zip code.

Notes on rural livin--More people in Clovis, NM still smoke for example, than in Albuquerque, NM (ie: the Big City.) Typical cowboys drink more too (?) They rode broncs and rodeo-ed til their back done give out. They drive fast on dark two lane roads, fall asleep on long, lonely drives and get into more wrecks.

Factors which taken together make them more unhealthy? Just my experience, but yes. If you're a real cowboy speak up.

I can smell a Meth (FE) house a mile away, and avoid them like the plague.
Fortunately, most seniors are not meth addicts.

Rates are higher in 'Rural' areas for Med Supp and the people are so nice.:yes:

Back