Can We Get an Acronym List Going?

LIS - Low income subsidy
QMB - qualified medicare beneficiary
SLMB - specified low income medicare bene
QI - qualifying individuals

it's part of the medicaid system. Those bottom 3 can pay for medicare's premium and maybe more. I haven't done extensive trainging in Medicaid but I do know when I meet with a client and they look at Medicare's premium and are upset, I pull out my 2017 eligibility standards chart and see if they might qualify for one of the above.

At that point if they think they do, I go to ssa.gov and apply for extra help and the MSP (medicare savings program). That will determine which of the above they get.

LIS is a Medicare program, apps are reviewed at Social Security, and pretty predictable at 3-4 weeks.
Medicare Savings Program app process is:
1. LIS app has option to forward the app to your client's local Social Services
office to review for Medicare Savings Program, a joint effort between Social Security/Medicare and each state's Medicaid program. The MSP app will take more time because it's basically going to start some time after the LIS app gets forwarded to social services.
Here is a description of MSP:
https://www.medicare.gov/your-medic...avings-program/medicare-savings-programs.html

2. social services in our state says about 45 days from app receipt. Many times the applicant will receive an envelope with a form to complete, asking more questions. If they overlook this, the app will die out, and they will get a rejection letter.

If it looks like my client will get MSP, I try to get LIS app going asap. The MSP program, since it's local social services can be quirky, with some follow up needed.

LIS is a Medicare program, apps are reviewed at Social Security, and pretty predictable at 3-4 weeks.
Medicare Savings Program app process is:
1. LIS app has option to forward the app to your client's local Social Services
office to review for Medicare Savings Program, a joint effort between Social Security/Medicare and each state's Medicaid program. The MSP app will take more time because it's basically going to start some time after the LIS app gets forwarded to social services.
Here is a description of MSP:
https://www.medicare.gov/your-medic...avings-program/medicare-savings-programs.html

2. social services in our state says about 45 days from app receipt. Many times the applicant will receive an envelope with a form to complete, asking more questions. If they overlook this, the app will die out, and they will get a rejection letter.

If it looks like my client will get MSP, I try to get LIS app going asap. The MSP program, since it's local social services can be quirky, with some follow up needed.

Not sure how this helps with the thread title but thanks lol

Back