Cold Call Reluctance

There were many times where I would talk my way out of dialing, but here are some things I did to make it easier to get over the "demotivational killers."

-If you have to call, only call during select days and hours so as not to wear yourself out calling during "inactive" times. From my experience, best times are evenings (630-8pm) NOT Wednesdays or Sundays. Saturday morning 930-11am. Don't call every day... maybe pick two or three days a week.
-Any dialer will make more efficient use of your time i.e. keep you on the phone less which is what you don't want to do anyway to focus on other efforts.
-Each time I spoke with someone that wasn't interested I (in my head NOT verbally) thanked them for not wasting my time so I could speak to someone that did want to talk to me.
-Call leads, aged leads or "targeted data" for the product your selling. Instead of shooting fish in a lake... your shooting in a pond or a barrel.
-I would reward myself for "muscling" through my calls that week... may seem silly but it works at times and follow through if you don't make your calls as well.
-I would be myself on the phone and really just think of it as a conversation...not a sales pitch. Concentrate on likability.
-NEVER miss a day to call and do it each day every week.

You are correct...sales is a numbers game whether you are calling, buying leads, doing mailings, etc. Whether I had a terrible week or a great week in commissions I always called to keep feeding the pipeline. I wasn't great on the phone (I was myself), but I did fairly well because I made calling and lead gen a daily practice.

My mom always tells me that Time + Energy = Success. Have to have a little faith and give it time and energy and it will pay off. And if all else fails and you just don't want to call (and have given it a long earnest effort) then you can use other lead gen methods or hire someone to make your calls for you, but that is an entirely different discussion and thread. Hope you have a productive day!

I could never understand why people find talking to other people so scary.

Maybe you should have a test day...where you just call prospect and your really not selling anything to build up your cold calling muscles...

Try calling in the area of LA cold calling is my business and the nicest people are by far the people I have spoken to in California.

The nastiest were in Arkansas I was contracted by someone to cold call for them - one of the prospects told me he wasn't going to buy or do business with me because I was a telemarketer lol there are a lot of people with inflated ego's in the world

It can be tough, just remember that they are no better than you

P.S. watch some youtube video's of some pro's...see how they get rejected, push back, then get an appointment

Good Luck!

Cory is absolutely right. cold calling is all about doing it at set times every week for a good couple of hours. I plan on adding this to my source of leads. and with practice, it will become easier and produce extra business. of which i plan to spend on fun things

Most people aren't fearful of being said No to, its the fear of failure that stops them cold. They don't know what the results will be, will they have wasted their time? What if they couldv'e been doing something MORE profitable like cold walking, calling past clients, or go through previous leads?
It's fear of failure that is the true opponent, the harder obstacle to overcome.
Capture other reasons, other benefits, of going through cold calling even if it turned out to have been a waste of time. In what ways could you add to your tally sheet; a list of skills grown, a few more families made aware of this problem you are seeking to illuminate and save people from, etc...

Its normal! change your script and make different prospect segments, which will help you. work only max 2 hrs per day, you can use some CRM and call dialer software, which makes process fast and easy. You may use MySalesDialer (CRM+) a free app for insurance agents. :)

Take baby steps that will ensure a high probability of success.

1) Have a targeted list of people to call based on your target demographic.
2) Make a list of the best times to call and choose the top three.
3) Commit to just "calling" at those times for a small duration even if it's just 30 minutes with no expectations.
4) Gradually work yourself into a routine and you will be rewarded with your efforts.

We've all been there and you just have to muscle through it. Even if you don't have "any success give yourself s pat on the back for doing it and committing to lead gen.

TIME + ENERGY = SUCCESS

Thanks again, I am making time everyday for cold calling and I have to say, that I feel a lot better that I am taking action.

I started a free account with Zoho (CRM) so that I can keep track of my calls. As far as scripts go, I have basically used bulletpoints of a script to keep me on track. I am not a good script reader and do much better when I am not reading from a piece of paper.

I am also using Manta.com and have targeted a specific area and then have filtered by number of employees and revenue.

Question: I am calling for two things; Group Health and Business Continuation Insurance. Is it always best to start with the Owner and then work down or the other way around. The problem is that an HR person may be in charge of Group Health but knows (and cares) less about Business Continuation. Or perhaps it's two different calls; one to owner for Business Continuation and one to the HR person for Group Health.

Lastly, when you have a name of a CFO or a finance person, should that be my target as that person should understand both products. Or again, go straight to the owner?

Back