Common Situation with Direct Mail Leads

Obviously, it's not up to the lead company to per-qualify the people that he mailings go out to. As long as they use the card you selected, demographics and the zip codes that you requested, they've done their job. sometimes you get a stack of leads that are golden, sometimes you wind up with bupkis. I don't see where changing companies is the answer, but perhaps changing the card is.

First, that's not my website. I was simply a guest of Scott's to the do the recording.

As for that objection, that's not an objection, that's a reason. People mail these cards in all the time that don't want to buy insurance. I throw those in the trash.

If you fiond teleleads that problem will be even worse with those because the telemarketer will just be saying anything to get a yes so they can sell it as lead.

Hi Jdeasy,

Are there any other tips you can give me on how to prescreen a lead? .......before I even ask for an appointment

I would be grateful to you.

Sincerely,

Funguy

If the question is phrased right, you don't get a lot of "I don't remember sending the card in" but yet you get to the heart of the person's interest.

JD phrases it better but the question should be phrased, "I have found that most folks send the card in because they either have no burial insurance, or they have some and know they need some additional coverage or they have some but want to make sure they are getting the very best deal possible. Which is your situation?"

You are not even saying they sent the card in.. you are just stating why other people have sent cards in... so it reduces the "I didn't send the card in" to almost none" it also helps with the "I just wanted to get some information".. 'That's fine.. Then you do have some burial insurance now?"

While I have run a few lead cards I am no expert at it but I used the same thing whenever I set appointments or was canvasing .. Once I was invited in the house, I would say, "Most people I meet with agree to talk with me because they........."

The tools may vary but the process is the same..

becasue well finsh the sentence, what do you say...

I also never ask the prospect "why did you mail the card in"? To me that question just opened the flood gates for all kinds of misleading answers from the prospect.

I already know why they mailed the card in....it's because they want more info about whatever is talked about on the card they sent in. If they sent back a card for info on mag subscriptions I know they sent the card back for info on mag subscriptions. If they sent a card back for info on medicare I know they sent the card back for info on medicare, etc.

My question to the prospect is "was this information for you or for you and someone else?

Thanks for the response theinsuranceman. My question is when an agent asks the client about their reason to send the card in and the client gives a response, isn't this is a good way to build rapport/ relationship with the client. Perhaps even gives the agent a chance to understand the clients situation a little better? What are your thoughts?

Hi Jdeasy,

Are there any other tips you can give me on how to prescreen a lead? .......before I even ask for an appointment

I would be grateful to you.

Sincerely,

Funguy

If you listened to the audio at fexcontracting then you have what I say.

But here it once again;

I call my leads to set appointments for the next day. Never more than one day out.

I call them up and ask for the person on the card. Say it's Alice Jones.

I ask for Alice Jones. If the person says this is Alice Jones then I say, "Mrs. Jones, this is JD with {my company} and we are the people that you sent in a request for information to about our final expense life insurance plans. I'm the gujy that takes care of that in your area and that's why I'm calling today. I'm going to be there tomorrow and I need 10 minutes of your time to go over that. Will you be home at 10:00 in the morning?"

That's it. Once she schedules then I will ask the person for 11:30.

It only varies from that based on their response to what I said. Nothing else is scripted. It goes by "feel" from there.

Rouse mentioned the 3 reasons. That's when I'm in the home. I don't do any of that on the phone. I do no qualifying on the phone nor will I schedule for a different day than the following day.

Again, all of this is at the fexcontracting site. If you happen to be with EFES then all of this available thru the EFES University.

What you have just described is the reason why 1 out of 100 agents attempt this fail. This is very rare that you are experiencing this.
Most of the people remember sending in the card and are expecting an agent to contact them.
Normally they answer their phone and set an appointment, keep the appointment and have coffee and cookies on the table for your enjoyment. Most, not all but most, have their checkbooks handy because they know life insurance isn't free.

About 99% of agents that enter the business stay for on average 24 years. There is very little turnover in this industry and mainly that's attributable to the leads being of such high quality. Therefore you must be doing something wrong while working these leads. So please correct your mistakes I would be dissapointed for you to become one of the 1 percenters that fail.

Was that your attempt at humor?

Don t ask them why they mailed it in, tell them and then ask, isn t that why you filled it out? Whenever i go on one of my medicare leads, i tell them "most people fill this card out hoping to save money on the doctor, hospital, prescriptions, or on their insurance premiums. I m assuming thats why you filled it out as well, right?

90% will agree, 10% are clueless.

It works the same for life, most people that fill this card out are worried about leaving their family with a burden of extra bills when they die, and would rather leave their family some extra money to help out when you aren t around? I m assuming you filled the card out for the same reason, right?

Back