Completely New, Need Advice

tinasam

Expert
I haven't even did the training or exam yet because I know some IMOs and stuff pay that for you.
I'm interested in Life/Health first and then possibly doing P&C.

I've pretty much decided on Horizon Agency Systems when I go completely out on my own, but I'd like a good temporary spot that will help me understand what to do (and will perhaps train me to get through the exam). I thought about HST or FFL but have read some pretty bad things about them. I'd like a fair commission, vesting, and leads that I don't have to buy. I don't want to leave owing a company money because that doesn't seem normal to me.

Any ideas on someplace a new person who wants to be an agent should be pointed toward to get their feet wet before tossing themselves out on their own (where I can get all the commission, vesting, etc.) ??

To ask for training and licensing reimbursement from an agency, knowing in advance that you won't stay... is theft and highly unethical business dealings.

I would, at a minimum, have an open mind about the potential of being at whatever agency for the long-term.

Now, I've been at agencies and firms for a short time, but that wasn't my intention when I started with them. I was at American Express Financial Advisors (now Ameriprise) for 3 months and they reimbursed me for passing my licensing within 90 days. Things came up and things were brought to my attention that I left within a week after passing. I was with Mutual of Omaha for two months... and left when I determined that it wasn't worth staying with that district manager (who is no longer in the industry at all).

So at least start with the right intentions.

I appreciate being called a thief.
I never said I'd get the license and run off. I'm saying I have long term aspirations to have my own practice and eventually would like to move to that sector of work. BUT UNTIL THEN ( years from now ) I'd like some advice on places that would be a good choice.

My intentions are to help people. Not get rich. Not to get as much as I can. To help people.

I never said I'd get the license and run off. I'm saying I have long term aspirations to have my own practice and eventually would like to move to that sector of work. BUT UNTIL THEN ( years from now ) I'd like some advice on places that would be a good choice.

My intentions are to help people. Not get rich. Not to get as much as I can. To help people.
I don't think he was calling you a tief at all. Sim[ply giving good advice. Go with an agency that you would be happy staying until you retire even though you have an ambition to start your own down the road. You never know how things might change over the years.

So... not asking for much, huh?

You want the agency to take all of the risk on you.. My first question would be what do you have to offer? Honestly at the start of your new career, not much.

Invest in yourself... at least show you have money on the table by getting your license yourself.

I did not call you a thief. I said that what you are planning to do would be theft.

Two different things.

I never said I'd get the license and run off.

That was exactly what you said.

I call it as I see it. (Might want to brush up on that reading comprehension or that exam is going to chew you up and spit you out.)

But what do I know? It's just 16 years of experience and 12 on this forum.

I appreciate everything that was said. I was just completely misunderstood. My aspirations do not mean that I'm going to abandon a good company, they're aspirations. And at my age probably won't happen, but still, I was saying I have that potential IMO covered. Was just looking for recommendations on a different company.
I'm learning.

Back