Deceased Clients,How Far Do You Go ?

Don't forget to bring as many Applications as possible to the services!

Good idea. I always keep a supply of black business cards to hand out just after the eulogy. Once in awhile someone would get upset (euphemistically speaking) whereas I'd then run out and stick some under windshield wipers.

Good idea. I always keep a supply of black business cards to hand out just after the eulogy. Once in awhile someone would get upset (euphemistically speaking) whereas I'd then run out and stick some under windshield wipers.

It's a nice touch to have "Thank you for smoking" on those cards.

Great idea if the company permits it.. There was a day when almost all claim checks were delivered by agents but many companies have stopped that practice.

Settlers will allow the agent to deliver the check,per their claims manager on a case by case basis.

Settlers will allow the agent to deliver the check,per their claims manager on a case by case basis.

Yes. They do notify the agent of any death claim and will allow him to deliver the check if he wants to.

Let me preface my comments first and say that on my own cases -- I don't sell small policies, so any death claims I would pay tend to be large, 7-digits or more. On cases that I didn't write, say for example, where I took over as agent of record, it's often not the only policy in-force as I've most often written/placed an additional policy, so the total death benefit will still be large.

That said -- I do everything. First, I demand the company send the check or settlement option documentation to me. If the company doesn't do that, is known for not doing that, or lets me know they won't -- then I actually have the beneficiary or trustee sign a letter requesting that the check/settlement option documentation be sent to me.

Second, I deliver everything personally. Always. Third, going back to before the claim forms are even sent out -- I have gotten the call every time. The spouse, children, trustee, whoever -- calls me. I don't sell a lot of lives and when a client dies, I get the call. Even after 25 plus years in the business, I don't have thousands of clients. I stay in touch, in a variety of ways, and my clients get multiple "touches" from me, my staff, etc. That said, I get the claim form, I complete it with the client(s) -- either in person or via telephone/overnight mail. I submit the claim form. I do it all.

I have never had a case where a client, spouse, children, trustee, whoever, did not appreciate my proactive, hands-on approach. I completely understand this is not possible on small cases and with professionals who write/place large #'s of lives. My practice is the opposite of that. High-touch, hands-on, etc., is one of the core components of my practice. As such, I look to do it all, and am more than happy to do so.

Back