Direct Mail Close Ratio

Frank,

Do you write PDP's before they have their card or do you wait on those? What I have been doing is writing the Med Sup and then when I deliver their policy we sign up for a PDP. I'm afraid the PDP company will reject it if they don't show them on Medicare A & B yet even if it is only like 2 months before their effective date. If they aren't drawing S.S. and haven't signed up for Part B yet I always think I should wait until they have received notification letter from Medicare that they are signed up before I send in the PDP application.

I don't target T65 only those 67 to 78. If they want a PDP they probably already have one. If they want my help in looking for a different one I will help them but I have no interest in actually selling them one.

I am not certified to sell them and I have not plans to get certified so I can earn a commission from them. I don't want to have to comply with all of CMS's BS. However, if I were you and relatively new you can bet I would be selling them.

Frank,

Do you write PDP's before they have their card or do you wait on those? What I have been doing is writing the Med Sup and then when I deliver their policy we sign up for a PDP. I'm afraid the PDP company will reject it if they don't show them on Medicare A & B yet even if it is only like 2 months before their effective date. If they aren't drawing S.S. and haven't signed up for Part B yet I always think I should wait until they have received notification letter from Medicare that they are signed up before I send in the PDP application.
The PDP window is different than the med Supp window. They can sign up for the PDP 3 months prior to getting part B.

The PDP window is different than the med Supp window. They can sign up for the PDP 3 months prior to getting part B.

Also, with many carriers, you have to make sure they have their claim number. They could be one month prior, but without a claim number some carriers will not process their PDP enrollment.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
That is more than enough money to show them that Plan G or Plan D is a better investment of their premium dollar than a Plan F. (Don't sell Plan F, agents like me will replace them in a heart beat, I have built my book of business replacing Plan F's.)

Frank, I take a slightly modified approach with my T65s. During my presentation, I essentially show the difference between F, D/G, and N. For my health T65s (that's most of them) the Plan N is a no-brainer from a value perspective. However, I still have about half of them selecting the Plan F, even after I point out they are overpaying for it. They want the simplicity of knowing there will be no OOP cost.

I'm OK with this since it's their decision, not mine. I do work hard to stay in touch with them and will point out options for lower costs when they get rate increases. I've not yet lost a client to competition and doubt that I will as long as I continue to provide this level of service.

For the new clients over 67 it is similar, but I find more are willing to switch from F to D/G or N. It seems that the older a person is, the greater the overall savings on a D/G compared to F. As an example, someone in their upper 70s (78, 79) might save $350/yr on premium for a G where the Part B ded is $140. This is a pretty attractive option for the client, and not a bad commission either (greatly better than a T65).

Last edited:
I usually try to set appts. with half the cards I receive and I'd say I sell about 75% of those half.
Now, I don't always set appts. with half the cards I get but that is my goal. I definitely think 20% is attainable.
The question is, what will you put on the card?

I find it hard to believe that you can't get April and May clients to talk to you now. I have leads coming in right now for Apr. May and June and I send out my next batch of leads next week for May June and July. My response rate is much higher for 4 and 5 months out and they are easier to set too.

edit: when do they want you to hit your "20%"? For instance I wrote a March T65 today that I met first in November. That still goes towards my Nov. leads but I sold in Jan. They have to realize that a lot of these clients sign later

Chaz can I ask what company do you use for your drip mailing?

I essentially show the difference between F, D/G, and N.

Seems like that would be confusing to show that many options. I never show more than two and then test the water.

I figure if they have been looking they have already seen F from everyone so I open with G and then N if needed.

Back