Direct Mail Marketing

what is the BEST and the WORSE days for the mail piece to hit the mailboxes?

Our best "direct response" results come from Teusdays and then Wed. It is very hard to track and I think you must use first class to ensure delivery dates as planned and then throw in some luck as well. I think there is very little competition on those days. Our print ads however, are most effective on Mondays:1baffled: good grief

Here's a couple places who give some helpful tips from time to time

Copywriting & Direct Marketing Tips

Direct Mail Analysis, Direct Mail Creative, inside direct mail : insidedirectmail.com

http://case-studies-in-advertising.com/

Last edited:
Not many people use direct mail effectively. Generally they mail a 1,000 pieces, get back 15 responses, find 5 qualified leads from those and are disappointed at the $70 or $80 cost per qualified lead.
Require the company you order direct mail from to give you the list with phone numbers of the mailing. Telemarket the 985 names that did not send a response. It's at least more of a warm call since you have a mail piece in the house. If you estimate that generating 20 additional qualified leads from a telemarketing campaign using the 985 name list, then it's worth spending money on a couple weeks of phone calls or do them yourself and save money.
Direct Mail or Telemarketing are most effective when combined and used together.

the idea of spending money to mail out a marketing piece and THEN cold call the non-responders doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Just buy the list and call the folks. You can bet that somebody has sent them some kind of mail piece in the recent past, so it doesn't really matter. Why waste your money on the mailing if you're gonna call them anyway? You can buy a whole lot more names for the $400 you will spend on mailing.

Plus, it just flies in the face of direct marketing anyway.

the idea of spending money to mail out a marketing piece and THEN cold call the non-responders doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Just buy the list and call the folks. You can bet that somebody has sent them some kind of mail piece in the recent past, so it doesn't really matter. Why waste your money on the mailing if you're gonna call them anyway? You can buy a whole lot more names for the $400 you will spend on mailing.

Plus, it just flies in the face of direct marketing anyway.

I think you are exactly right. Keep the $400 in your pocket because you are still cold-calling and more than likely your mail peice is in the county dump.

Whats everyones experience with oversized postcards vs. a professional looking letter? Which one have you received a better response rate from? Thoughts on each?

A glossy color oversized postcard is bound to at least be glanced at, and the letter could easily be thrown in the trash if they see a return address of a financial or insurance agency thay they do not use.

But I could see a letter possibly being more effective with a more affluent clientel....???

Whats everyones experience with oversized postcards vs. a professional looking letter? Which one have you received a better response rate from? Thoughts on each?

A glossy color oversized postcard is bound to at least be glanced at, and the letter could easily be thrown in the trash if they see a return address of a financial or insurance agency thay they do not use.

But I could see a letter possibly being more effective with a more affluent clientel....???

Your letters will not be thrown in the trash if you use plain white envelopes and handwrite them. They will probably be thrown away if an agent plays lazy and shortcuts by using mailing labels.

Something else you can do is put something in the envelope that the customer can feel and will open it to see what it is. I use a magnet business card because they are heavy and it is obvious that they are in the envelope.

Think like a customer;Do you read postcards from various companies and all of your junkmail, or does it go into the trash? Also, if you open an envelope and you see that it is business mail, do you sit down and read the entire letter? I would say that you have about 5 seconds to get your point across before your letter gets thrown away.

Last edited:
Back