Does This Agent Opportunity Exist?

Humana comes fairly close. They've been primarily Medicare Advantage, but now they're jumping into the supplemental health arena after what Obamacare did to them.

Their career agents are W2 with full benefits/401K, base salary, mileage paid, excellent training. In-home leads are provided, but you're expected to create your own business as well. As I understand it, they're not very flexible on this, which is fair I guess, since they provide base salary, etc. So you definitely have to perform.

I also understand that their supplemental plans aren't terribly competitive, but I can't confirm that. The thing is, what you're looking for will be very hard to find. You may want to contact them, MA season is nearly here.

What? I did not know Humana had captive/company/career agents selling underage supplemental. Maybe I need to look into this. Maybe this is in your state- and not mine? Who knows, but I had not heard of this.

What? I did not know Humana had captive/company/career agents selling underage supplemental. Maybe I need to look into this. Maybe this is in your state- and not mine? Who knows, but I had not heard of this.

Yep, they jumped with both feet about six months ago if I remember correctly. And it's national. They bought out a company (KMG?) which had the supplemental products.

Personally, I don't get it. They're trying to enter a market that's already saturated with Aflac, Colonial, All State and the rest. And their field agents are trained in Medicare, not supplemental.

I don't know how this will work out. Obamacare nailed 'em. Elections have consequences.

Ok. With all that has been said, then what would be the best recommendations for both models? captive and non-captive? Also, since most of my career so far has been focused on health, I'm open to looking into opportunities that focus on Life, disability, LTC, medicare, etc.

Yep, they jumped with both feet about six months ago if I remember correctly. And it's national. They bought out a company (KMG?) which had the supplemental products.

Personally, I don't get it. They're trying to enter a market that's already saturated with Aflac, Colonial, All State and the rest. And their field agents are trained in Medicare, not supplemental.

I don't know how this will work out. Obamacare nailed 'em. Elections have consequences.

I went and looked it up and they are hiring in San Antonio for this- so you would be correct about all this.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Ok. With all that has been said, then what would be the best recommendations for both models? captive and non-captive? Also, since most of my career so far has been focused on health, I'm open to looking into opportunities that focus on Life, disability, LTC, medicare, etc.

When you say life, disabilty and medicare- I am thinking Mutual of Omaha for the career agent- and also broker as well.

Last edited:
Ok. I'd like to clear up a little bit about my thought process. I've been in health and life insurance business for about 5 years. I'm by no means an expert, so I really do have a lot to learn still.
My current employment isn't related to insurance, but it seems like I will have to be ready to jump ship here in a few months because of economy. (not enough money to keep paying me full-time)
So, now that so much has changed with health insurance, which was my main area of focus when I was a full-time agent, I'm not really sure where to go or what to do. I do know that I'm not going to be able to solely focus on health insurance and make enough money, unless there is a better opportunity out there. (again, what I'm use to is the 2 models that I've referred to here already...both of which I think are lacking)
Anyways, I'm looking for other ways to make good money, and to make that money consistently. I'm open to focusing on life, medicare, LTC, etc., but I recognize that I will have to learn how to be a successful agent in these areas. In order to "learn" I don't want to have to go poor in the process.
So, what are the opportunities out there that could really help? not just recruit with the turn and burn mindset?

Ok. I'd like to clear up a little bit about my thought process. I've been in health and life insurance business for about 5 years. I'm by no means an expert, so I really do have a lot to learn still.
My current employment isn't related to insurance, but it seems like I will have to be ready to jump ship here in a few months because of economy. (not enough money to keep paying me full-time)
So, now that so much has changed with health insurance, which was my main area of focus when I was a full-time agent, I'm not really sure where to go or what to do. I do know that I'm not going to be able to solely focus on health insurance and make enough money, unless there is a better opportunity out there. (again, what I'm use to is the 2 models that I've referred to here already...both of which I think are lacking)
Anyways, I'm looking for other ways to make good money, and to make that money consistently. I'm open to focusing on life, medicare, LTC, etc., but I recognize that I will have to learn how to be a successful agent in these areas. In order to "learn" I don't want to have to go poor in the process.
So, what are the opportunities out there that could really help? not just recruit with the turn and burn mindset?

If you want to basically start from scratch without going through a tight stretch, it is going to be nearly impossible. If a company generates leads for you, you have no control and no career once you part ways (which is 100% certain to happen at some point). If you generate your own leads (life or health), it will likely take 3 months to meet your own bills, and that is with advances. If you are "as earned", it will be a much longer stretch.

In my opinion, to be in this business you have to generate your own leads (sweat equity or pay for them). Anything else is false hope and will eventually lead to failure. In order to make it, you need two components:

1. A chunk of savings set aside to see you through or an extremely low monthly nut to meet. I had the latter when I first started and it was the most difficult thing I've ever done. I would want 6 months of living expenses in the bank before starting to have a real shot, or at a minimum, a working spouse who could cover most of the bills. If you are leveraged with a large mortgage, car payments, ect, then it will be difficult.

2. Work hard when you get started. Working hard and long is not defined by hours worked, it is the number of people who you talk to about how you may be able to help them each day. If you aren't talking to people about the work you do and processing through large numbers of people, then #1 will be a mute point. You will be poor anyway.

The good news, if you do #2, and have the time with #1, you are virtually guaranteed to succeed. Now here is the bad news, I have found most managers at captive companies are not great about teaching you how to consistently get in front of people other than the traditional "get referrals." If you study the board, you will find a method that works for you, then run like hell with it.

Do you have any pointers as to where to go in terms of who I should partner with? Also, keeping in mind that I don't think health is the focus I'd like to maintain. I'm very interested in LTC, Disability, life, etc.

Do you have any pointers as to where to go in terms of who I should partner with? Also, keeping in mind that I don't think health is the focus I'd like to maintain. I'm very interested in LTC, Disability, life, etc.
To write life, disability, and LTC... Mutual Of Omaha careeer agent may be good.
Let's ask you this: have you tried MoO and Mass Mutual and NYL and such?

Last edited:
Back