DOI Investigation

In response to those with negative comments about MA business; it's not warranted. I have been in this business for years with no complaints. I know very few agents who have had real problems, a couple inquiries here or there, but very few major issues. I don't know anyone that has lost their license.

I did however have a life agent many years ago instigate a client file a complaint against me. It was not valid, just someone trying to prove he was the alpha agent. I also know that some annuity agents will lie their asses off to sell or prevent replacement.

Let's not get all high and mighty just because you don't sell advantage plans. I sell many different products, but make more in MA renewals than any other product. They increase dramatically every year.

No need to fool with it. Just send them my way. :yes:

Well send me your contact info and if I run across anyone Ill send them to you, matter of fact you should mail me some business cards as most of the FE prospects I come across you could service as they dont really have supps, just advantage or medicaid.

----------

In response to those with negative comments about MA business; it's not warranted. I have been in this business for years with no complaints. I know very few agents who have had real problems, a couple inquiries here or there, but very few major issues. I don't know anyone that has lost their license.

I did however have a life agent many years ago instigate a client file a complaint against me. It was not valid, just someone trying to prove he was the alpha agent. I also know that some annuity agents will lie their asses off to sell or prevent replacement.

Let's not get all high and mighty just because you don't sell advantage plans. I sell many different products, but make more in MA renewals than any other product. They increase dramatically every year.

Great info and post. Im not being all high and mighty, that may not have been directed at me anway, but again great info. I guess I should say that at this time in my insurance adventure I chose to get involved with medsupps first. Not that I wont EVER do MA, but right now there is enough on my plate with selling and building FE and beginning to learn medsupps. Again, thanks for the post, class act.

I love how you MA guys keep making the case for me to NOT sell this crap. Thanks again, really. You have saved me much time and energy.

I built up a solid book of business by cold calling for Medicare supplement between 1992-2005. Many of those clients are now on MA plans and I couldn't imagine how I could have have possibly continued to thrive without offering all the different types of medicare health plans.I would be very concerned about not being able to help my current med supp clients that may want to go with MA in the future and also concerned about having to tell the Medicare eligible s that call me from referrals who are interested in finding out about both an MA and med supp/pdp combo - sorry i can't help you because I choose to sell only the regular Medicare supplements because they are very low maintenance for you and for me and it keep my marketing cost down as well.If you still want one of those confusing MA plans you may want to call Bob down the street at All Seniors Health Plans Agency because he is licensed and certified to sell all the different plans. Now remember if you decide that you still want a med supp after you talk with Bob come back to office and I can take care of it but let Bob enroll you in a part D plan first because I don't mess with those plans either.

I don't think this prospect would come back to see me even if he decided he wanted a med supp.

Last edited:
I built up a solid book of business by cold calling for Medicare supplement between 1992-2005. Many of those clients are now on MA plans and I couldn't imagine how I could have have possibly continued to thrive without offering all the different types of medicare health plans.I would be very concerned about not being able to help my current med supp clients that may want to go with MA in the future and also concerned about having to tell the Medicare eligible s that call me from referrals who are interested in finding out about both an MA and med supp/pdp combo - sorry i can't help you because I choose to sell only the regular Medicare supplements because they are very low maintenance for you and for me and it keep my marketing cost down as well.If you still want one of those confusing MA plans you may want to call Bob down the street at All Seniors Health Plans Agency because he is licensed and certified to sell all the different plans. Now remember if you decide that you still want a med supp after you talk with Bob come back to office and I can take care of it but let Bob enroll you in a part D plan first because I don't mess with those plans either.

I don't think this prospect would come back to see me even if he decided he wanted a med supp.

You are exactly right and that is my exact plan, to only sell medsupps in the beginning. You get an A+ for reading comprehension. And as far as part D RX goes, I truly get what you are saying but you can still direct and help someone on a supp get their part D by helping them navigate the web, no?

Im sure you are only trying to help as is evidenced by your many many years in the industry and I appreciate it, but again, Im not saying Ill NEVER do it, Im saying that to me at this point I choose not to be a CMS buttboy. That may change later, you gotta crawl before you can walk and I plan on marketing to low MA penetration areas anyway, so yea meduspps all the way F**KERS!!:yes:

You can enroll MA the same as RX on Medicare.gov just like you do RXs. You can be a full service agent for clients even if you don't want to the "official " agent.

I jump through the hoops to sell MA every year but certain people I don't want as my actual customers anyway. I don't turn any of them away from help but some of them I don't want to be their agent. Especially on something as anti-agent as MA plans.

So yes, a Med Sup agent can do a good job for everyone he meets with.

I agree with john I took a hard look at ma and met with agents who've sold for years and learned it pretty well and have backed away as the rules of engagement with a new prospect are stifling. The soa and the 48 hr cool down mean no solicitation and a 2 interview sale if .you do it legally. But I've talked to many agents side stepping the laws and I just don't want the hassle of dealing with the doi on complaints. I'm concentrating on fe right now and will slowly move into medicare sups over the next few yrs as I build that business. Over the next 5-10 yrs i'd like to be 100% in the middle to upper middle class mkt and not have to wear nose plugs every time I enter a trailer.John what imo are you with for med sups?

Im not being all high and mighty, that may not have been directed at me anway, but again great info. I guess I should say that at this time in my insurance adventure I chose to get involved with medsupps first. Not that I wont EVER do MA, but right now there is enough on my plate with selling and building FE and beginning to learn medsupps. Again, thanks for the post, class act.

It wasn't directed at you, just a general statement based on many statements made about selling MA's. I believe many agents over react to SOA requirements. It's really hard to get in trouble selling MA unless you really ignore the rules. I've never heard of an MA agent going through the same problems the that the annuity agent went through in CA. Locked up and financially ruined.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to sell MA, just want to make agents aware that it's not really the minefield many claim it to be. Get the scope signed and sell them an insurance policy. For gods sake, your sitting in front of them, might as well get paid. If your a strict one call closer, probably best to stay away. If you build relationships, what's the problem. I choose to be paid.

You can enroll MA the same as RX on Medicare.gov just like you do RXs. You can be a full service agent for clients even if you don't want to the "official " agent.

I jump through the hoops to sell MA every year but certain people I don't want as my actual customers anyway. I don't turn any of them away from help but some of them I don't want to be their agent. Especially on something as anti-agent as MA plans.

So yes, a Med Sup agent can do a good job for everyone he meets with.

I understand you target Med supp so you are naturally going to enroll a higher percentage of your prospects in a Med supp but I was wondering of your prospects who want to know about both MA and med supp what percentage of your prospects do you end up enrolling in MA on Medicare.gov after you give them a medicare health plan options presentation.Seems like it would be hard to remain unbiased if your not going to get paid if you recommend the MA option . I always try to be unbiased as possible when presenting all Medicare Health Plans options but for those prospects who are on the fence and both options are suitable sometimes its hard to resist the urge to steer them to the 400.00 commission product - especially for the T65 prospects who sometimes will ask me " well which plan do YOU think i should go with ?" Of course the 12 month trial period kind of gives them a mulligan anyway.

That's good for your prospects that you are willing to enroll them in a MA plan on Medicare.gov if it best suits their needs but it double sucks for you since you get no commission and youl ose the PTC . For CYA reasons I would fully disclose to the prospect the benefit they lose by not having an AOR because if they have issues with the plan down the road and only then realize they don't have an AOR with a vested interest in their satisfaction of the plan or someone to legally hold accountable for suitability issues then there could be a problem for you.

This is a very worth while thread with some good information and point of views about selling MA plans.

Back