Door to Door Idea

blue_wynd

Guru
100+ Post Club
I recently added my P & C license and had been doing it with a small brokerage for little over a month now. One of the ideas I had for prospecting is to go to the houses around the agency and said this.

" Hi, I am John Doe, a new insurance agent with Abc agency. The reason why I am here today in the cold is because I want to be "your" new insurance agent too. How would you like to hear about saving a couple hundred on your current insurance and find out how to protect your family better?"

My intention sit down with them if they are receptive, find any savings using my P & C firm's carriers and using those savings to cross sell a life policy with the financial company I practice with. It sounds simple right? I also plan on winning them over with my charm. :cool:. Think I should bring anything besides my labtop and business cards? Critiques?

I wouldn't bring a laptop. Keep your cards in your pocket. I like your intro, just focus on collecting their information for another appointment (keep a small notebook in your pocket). Be fast and efficient and get to the next house. Focus on getting 10 new leads a day. You'll quickly become so busy that you won't have time to door knock.

I recently added my P & C license and had been doing it with a small brokerage for little over a month now. One of the ideas I had for prospecting is to go to the houses around the agency and said this.

" Hi, I am John Doe, a new insurance agent with Abc agency. The reason why I am here today in the cold is because I want to be "your" new insurance agent too. How would you like to hear about saving a couple hundred on your current insurance and find out how to protect your family better?"

My intention sit down with them if they are receptive, find any savings using my P & C firm's carriers and using those savings to cross sell a life policy with the financial company I practice with. It sounds simple right? I also plan on winning them over with my charm. :cool:. Think I should bring anything besides my labtop and business cards? Critiques?

Good luck! I think door knocking is a great idea! The people that I've met that do it have good results. Be picky about your neighborhood. If you go to the neighborhood with all the doctors and lawyers you aren't going to get anywhere. Choose a nice middle/lower-middle class neighborhood and get going.

Best of luck. Be sure to keep us updated about your results.

I've done door knocking. But with critical illness and life insurance as a product. Main thing is like mentioned above, pick a not so rich neighborhood, unless you want the neighbors to call the cops. You have to follow up a lot, don't get discouraged by doors being slammed in your face. Only a few people are that rude. Most will at least listen. Try and nail down the appointment on the first visit. Get their name and phone number as well. Most will say, "you have a card? I'll call you." If everyone who told me that actually called, I'll be on the MDRT. I have found late afternoon works best. You will find more people at home. Have fun!!! Also, I keep my cards in my hand because a stranger's hands can be dangerous. If you are reaching in your pocket for a card, it may scare the householder. They don't know who you are. So keep your hands where they can see them.

Last edited:
Thinking of doing this on afternoon Saturday, figures people will home more often than not. And maybe impress people that I am working on Saturday. Will draft a sheet with address and cross off the ones spoken too. Any further ideas? The hands to be seen at all times is good.

If I door knocked I would consider wearing one of those reflective safety vests. The idea is you want to be seen and you want people to know you aren't afraid of being seen. Also have your state license and perhaps ID on a lanyard hanging from your neck.

There are lots of people who won't come to the door. These are people we used to label HH which stood for "home and hiding". You knew they were there but because they didn't want to talk about religion they would not come to the door.

There were people in our neighborhood the other day with an alarm company and they all had vests on. Another young man with a letter bag dropping off door hangers ans he had a vest too. If they didn't have vests on, I'm pretty sure someone would have called the cops since we have had several break-ins in the neighborhood.

The vests seem to at least put me at ease and at the same time I know it isn't the ministers out knocking on doors. Plus the way some people drive on these streets, it just may help keep ya from getting ran over.

I can't believe I have to ask this, but what's a good brand for those vests? Every single one I search for has reviews saying they tear in one usage or are too short if you're 6'?

I can't believe I have to ask this, but what's a good brand for those vests? Every single one I search for has reviews saying they tear in one usage or are too short if you're 6'?

Just go to Home Depot. If it rips then take it back. You could also go to a store which only sells safety equipment as they have them there too.

I'm telling ya there is something about a person with a safety vest on and a clipboard. People naturally associate these things together.

0b1kanobee said:
Just go to Home Depot. If it rips then take it back. You could also go to a store which only sells safety equipment as they have them there too.

I'm telling ya there is something about a person with a safety vest on and a clipboard. People naturally associate these things together.

This sounds like a good idea to me.

I'm thinking about adding a hard hat to the mix, maybe even put a logo on it. Would that be overboard you think?

Back