Door to Door Idea

desertsun said:
I'm thinking about adding a hard hat to the mix, maybe even put a logo on it. Would that be overboard you think?

Personally Yes....I would answer the door and I would wonder if your a construction worker or an insurance agent.

Personally Yes....I would answer the door and I would wonder if your a construction worker or an insurance agent.

Or that you had been out in the sun too long when I find out you are an insurance agent wearing a hard hat. :twitchy:

Wearing a safety vest to prospect for insurance? Are you guys serious? Why not just go all in and wear your steel toe boots as well, to go with your hard hat and safety vest? That'll get their attention.

I can't believe I have to ask this, but what's a good brand for those vests? Every single one I search for has reviews saying they tear in one usage or are too short if you're 6'?

I think the vest is a terrible idea. Just grab some business cards, get a NotePad/portfolio, and see how the conversations go. Laptop is way overkill unless it's for an appointment. Just prospecting is way less formal than that.

Josh said:
I think the vest is a terrible idea. Just grab some business cards, get a NotePad/portfolio, and see how the conversations go. Laptop is way overkill unless it's for an appointment. Just prospecting is way less formal than that.

I think nice dress clothes with a safety vest might work or it might not. I think someone would have to test it to see if it is a stupid idea or not. I think wearing your insurance card on a lanyard around your neck might have some of the same effect. Either thing would make you look a little more official and less threatening. The question is if the vest makes you look deceptive, stupid, or afraid of traffic. However, if one is working in poor visibility the vest might be desirable.

I think nice dress clothes with a safety vest might work or it might not. I think someone would have to test it to see if it is a stupid idea or not. I think wearing your insurance card on a lanyard around your neck might have some of the same effect. Either thing would make you look a little more official and less threatening. The question is if the vest makes you look deceptive, stupid, or afraid of traffic. However, if one is working in poor visibility the vest might be desirable.

Let's recap the idea:

Grab a laptop, business cards in hand, safety vest on, lanyard around neck and then you knock on a prospects door saying "Hi, I'm out here in the cold because I'd like to be your insurance agent."

The expectation is that some of them are just waiting to let you come in, fire up your laptop, quote them insurance, switch the insurance, and then buy life insurance with the savings? I wouldn't want my income dependent on the success of that model.

If I might offer another approach:

Business casual, portfolio/notepad along with some businss cards, knock on the door and say "Hi, how are you doing today?.... I'm stopping by because I've been helping people save money on their auto and homeowners insurance and I was wondering if you were interested in seeing if I could save you some money on yours?" No laptop, no glowing vest, no safety hat, nothing tied around my neck, just dressed like a respectable insurance agent. Now that might have some potential.

In my defense, not all the ideas are mines. Here is what I will be doing today or tomorrow, depending if the rain stops. The labtop is out. The safety vest is out since I will be wearing a suit. Here is the final action plan.

1. Clipboard to write on
2. Business Cards
3. Copies of a simple one sheet auto quote questionnaire they can fill in or send in later through electronic means. Takes 4 minutes to fill out.
4. A "hi my name is name tag"
5. License in my front suit pocket if anyone ask for it.

Script below:

"Hi, I am John Doe, a new insurance agent with Abc agency. The reason why I am here today in the cold is because I want to be "your" new insurance agent too. How would you like to hear about saving a couple hundred on your current insurance and find out how to protect your family better?"

Josh said:

With the way some people drive and some areas without sidewalks I could see wearing a vest for my personal safety...I have never worn one before but don't think it is too crazy...Now the hard hat is pretty crazy.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
blue_wynd said:
4. A "hi my name is name tag"

To each their own but if I am knocking on your door I am also capable of telling you my name.

Last edited:
Josh said:
I think the vest is a terrible idea.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I thought it was a joke at first.

Just stick to the sidewalks and you don't have to worry about the vest. You'll be safe and won't look like a dumba$$.

Back