Door to Door sales

I prospect by knocking doors. I guess that counts. I go into businesses as well. And just walk up to a door of a house or apartment, cold. I say, "I was wondering who you have your life insurance with...?" Been doing it for years. I'm not going to say it's really successful, though. It's a great way to get a bunch of prospects. But it's up to you to make something happen. I am determined to find a way to make it work in 2009.

You do that in the hood?

You are either nuts or have brass cojone's.

OK, that is probably redundant . . .

I've heard of AFLAC agents going door to door in office parks and doing well. I went door to door introducing my benefits company for short while but in the end I found the phone to be the better option.

I also heard a story of a life insurance agent once that would go door to door in office parks. The story goes he would walk right into the office, go to the secretary and tell her he needed to make a short announcement to the employees. Then he would walk into the main cubicle area, where I guess there were a bunch of people, and say "I've got the cheapest rates on term life insurance in the country if anyone's interested!" Supposedly, it worked. However, I did not see it first hand so maybe it's a life insurance salesman urban legend.

I heard another story about a guy who would go door to door in new neighborhoods using the old mortgage insurance pitch. Supposedly, he did well.

I sold newspaper subscriptions door to door for a couple of years in college. It was a lot of fun. We were all 20 years old or so and made a lot of money - and got into a lot of trouble, especially with the girls at Hooters where we met everyday before work! Those were the days...

Last edited:
With that resume you should spend six months learning health insurance and conduct sales trainings.

I'm just getting into the insurance business, although my dad has been an agent for over 30 years. He built his business by cold calling on the phone. I'm not opposed to that but I think I might like other methods better. I'm not going to be able to just buy his business and have a lucrative income, because he sold the majority of his business about 10 years ago, so no he is just doing it for extra money above and beyond his retirement income.

The last 12 years I've been selling various products door to door. No matter what the product is I've been successful selling it. When I mean successful I'm talking about averaging $50 an hour per door to door hour worked. Of course being in the door to door business for so long I've figured out what products are best to sell and with my contacts I get top commission with zero supervision.

Not to brag but I've been taught by some highly successful salesman that put many hours of selling in theirself, so when they would teach me something it worked in reality not just in theory.

Also, I have studied many aspects of selling and tried them over the years.

I don't think I'm good as I could be, but I'm solid when its comes to door to door.

Now, that you know my background my questions is ((( Having you tried selling insurance door to door?)))

If you have tried selling insurance door to door, how many hours did you do it for? What time of the day did you do it? What were the demographics? What was your pitch or introduction? Did it work or not?

I'm talking about selling P&C.

Do whatever you must to do get in front of people. You must see the people, see the people, see the people. It is a numbers game.

I think there are better ways then door knocking these days, but I think it can work for some agents. It should not be the only thing that you do in prospecting.

Prospecting is kind of like fishing to me. You have to keep changing your bait, and location, until you start catching something. When you stop catching something, then move on and try something else.

You can ask anybody who has worked with me, I go right up to people and ask them about life insurance. Or health, does not matter. Waitresses, mechanics, the guy in the 7-11. Does not matter. I sometimes will go out and sell accident plans.

I also am a colector of old tape series, motivational tapes. I have one from the 1950's, it sounds like. It was probably made in the 1970's by transferring vinyl over to cassette. It's a one part series, one tape. It is hillarious, really , but it makes a good point. The voice on there sounds like the narrator voice from an old police detective show. He says, you walk right up to a family man out in his yard, and use your last name only, and say really strongly, "The name's Jones... and I'm in Life Insurance..."

You can ask anybody who has worked with me, I go right up to people and ask them about life insurance. Or health, does not matter. Waitresses, mechanics, the guy in the 7-11. Does not matter. I sometimes will go out and sell accident plans.

I also am a colector of old tape series, motivational tapes. I have one from the 1950's, it sounds like. It was probably made in the 1970's by transferring vinyl over to cassette. It's a one part series, one tape. It is hillarious, really , but it makes a good point. The voice on there sounds like the narrator voice from an old police detective show. He says, you walk right up to a family man out in his yard, and use your last name only, and say really strongly, "The name's Jones... and I'm in Life Insurance..."

I'm impressed and I bet we could all learn a couple of things from you. A lot of agents don't know how to prospect or what I call " Old School" Prospecting.

Truth be told, some agents never want to leave home or get off the sofa to sell insurance. Some agents are not willing to put 5 hours a week, of hard working into this business.

Some agents don't understand why they are not selling any insurance, but yet they have done nothing to find new clients.

Back