E-Newsletters

There are a few providers out there if you look around the fourm and Google. I was using a local tech guy for awhile to design, implement and track an e-newsletter campaign. The problem was the response rate was very low.

After a few months of this, I took another agents advise and switched to mailing the newsletters. The same guy I used before helps design my newsletter and his brother owns a print shop so he handles the mailing. I have since had a much better response rate.

I now get more calls and sales from the mailed newsletter. When I asked why of my clients, they consistently said they preferred the mailed newsletter because "they were more likely to read it".

Everything I send to clients is sent "snail mail".

I believe one of the things that has helped me be successful is by NOT doing things the way others do. Bulk e-mailing may make the agent believe that he/she is providing a service for their clients but in reality the clients see it for what it really is. A lazy mans way of attempting to provide "service".

Just because things can be sent by e-mail does not necessarily mean that they should be. Yes there are exceptions.

We've got a fairly even split of business between email and print newsletters. While email marketing is certainly the fastest growing segment, I've always said that eventually print marketing will see a resurgence.

We've got a fairly even split of business between email and print newsletters. While email marketing is certainly the fastest growing segment, I've always said that eventually print marketing will see a resurgence.

The Foresight website has some interesting stats:

* An overwhelming majority of recipients read the newsletters they receive. 92% read at least some issues.

* A majority take positive action after reading a newsletter. 75% save articles and visit the company's Website. 25% contact the company.

* And most say stopping the newsletter would have a negative impact. 25% would feel the value of the sender's services had diminished.

* Surveys show that 41% like to receive both versions.

John, can you tell us where those numbers come from? Who did the surveys and where we can find how and when they were conducted?

While I have written my own email newsletter for years, as part of my new (evolving) marketing plan for 2010, I'm thinking about going hard-copy (like Frank does) or maybe keep the email and have someone else produce it. I use Constant Content and I'm just about at the 500 subscriber break-point, which has me looking at alternatives.

Is anyone using the Foresight service and have some good (or bad?) words about it? If you don't want to go public, you can PM me.

Perhaps there are other services out there you like? Maybe just a good print and mail house?

Is there a good email vendor other than Constant Contact that you like (i.e. cheaper?)

Thanks,

Al
InsuranceSolutions123 Agency

There are a few providers out there if you look around the fourm and Google. I was using a local tech guy for awhile to design, implement and track an e-newsletter campaign. The problem was the response rate was very low.

After a few months of this, I took another agents advise and switched to mailing the newsletters. The same guy I used before helps design my newsletter and his brother owns a print shop so he handles the mailing. I have since had a much better response rate.

I now get more calls and sales from the mailed newsletter. When I asked why of my clients, they consistently said they preferred the mailed newsletter because "they were more likely to read it".
How low the response rate for e-newsletter? What would be the ROI for e-newsletter? I thought that the e-newsletter is cheap and can reach a lot of people. The snail mail is good but expensive. You have to mail a few times before you get your return.

Newsletters are NOT designed for a "response rate". Newsletters are designed to keep yourself in front of your intended audience (clients, prospects, centers of influence, etc.).

There are e-newsletters on the VSA service (Virtual Sales Assistant from National Underwriter). You can check them out for free for 30 days before paying $21.95/month.

I believe that snail mail is BEST because it is now TANGIBLE for someone to HAND to someone else.

I personally plan to use the Insurance Pro Shop newsletters (yes even at $60/issue) for my print newsletters to clients (with referral or information request cards).

I also agree with the tangibility of snail mails. I think a balance with the e-newsletter and the mailed newsletter would be more effective. Although more on the cost will be spent for it. Newsletters are really helpful in providing updates to clients and would lead to more sales.

Let's Talk Money works well. It touches clients 6-7 times a year and makes you look like an authority. It's reasonably prices too. I think it's around $1.50 per newsletter to have them mail it out for you.

They have an email version too.

I haven't had any clients call up and ask to buy something, but when I call them they usually mention receiving the newsletter.

Back