Encryption Email Service

I use gmail for all my email needs so that it's tied to my phone, laptop, computer, tablets, etc. I keep it encrypted. I pay about 3 bucks a month to keep it connected to my "Google Apps for Business" so that it's tied to my .com and not a "gmail.com" email address. It's the best ever.

SO.... What do you use to encrypt? Just gmail? What is $3/mo? Does it have the functionality that the newer encryption services have? Does it have a BAA? I'm not doubting, I am just researching for myself, make sense?

More facts about your set up would be appreciated. Do you have 100 people or just you? I was told there is a min. set up with that system. I am just one.

Thanks... you could reach out to me too!

I use gmail for all my email needs so that it's tied to my phone, laptop, computer, tablets, etc. I keep it encrypted. I pay about 3 bucks a month to keep it connected to my "Google Apps for Business" so that it's tied to my .com and not a "gmail.com" email address. It's the best ever.

That is not HiPAA compliant email. For HIPAA compliance you need the premium version of Google Work apps, which costs $10/m. The standard version is not HIPAA compliant.

----------

SO.... What do you use to encrypt? Just gmail? What is $3/mo? Does it have the functionality that the newer encryption services have? Does it have a BAA? I'm not doubting, I am just researching for myself, make sense?

More facts about your set up would be appreciated. Do you have 100 people or just you? I was told there is a min. set up with that system. I am just one.

Thanks... you could reach out to me too!

They are talking about Google Apps for work. Which is the enterprise version of Gmail. They also are saying that they are encrypting their devices, which is different than having encrypted emails.

There are two options for Gapps for Work, Standard and Premium. Premium is HIPAA compliant and it costs $10 per month.

You need your own domain name to go with it. Google charges $10/y for a .com domain. (you can use anyone for the domain name, you dont have to use google, but it makes it easy if you do and set up goes quicker)

They will do a BAA with the Premium version, and it allows all legal/admin holds and other stuff required by HIPAA.

What you are looking at (Virtu) is not actual email service. It is an add-on to your existing email system. It is an extra layer of encryption, similar to what the health carriers use.

Using something like Virtu is not required by HIPAA. And it will be a cost above and beyond all the other costs associated with having a professional email.

HIPAA requires that you use a "secure" encrypted connection to send emails with PHI. But once the client receives the email, their email system might not use an encrypted connection. So a hacker could potentially gain access to their PHI if they hacked into the clients email. Using an extra layer of protection like Virtu solves that threat.

But this is what I dont like about it. Its cumbersome. It is a multi-step process for the client to open an email.

You could do a similar thing for free by just password protecting any attachments you send. Use the last 4 of their social to make it easy. Most of the important PHI is sent in the form of attachments anyways.

Was going to use godaddy and office 365. But they are charging [initially] $9 or more per month. That is fine. Problem: i have multiple email addresses, and multiple domains. when receive an email to one of those accounts, i need my replay to be from that account, not from a different master email address. For that they charge per user = per email address. $90 month if u are using 10 email addresses, even if just a one man operation.

As an alternative i can use an imap account with them, but it is not hipaa compliant. Although i may only receive an email with health info once every month or two, i would prefer having everything together, rather than just having a seperate account to give someone to use for sending private health info. And i would like to upload all of my old outlook emails [10 gigs, and would also like to use online storage of 1 terrabyte that some offer, so i could just put all files there to access when elsewhere] to them, to make it easy to look for an old email, if away from home.

Suggestions? thanks.

I like the format of outlook and have used it for years, Hate to switch to gmail, etc. Suggestions?

Back