First Year agent wrote 40 MA plans

That's a very good loss ratio for that market! Good for you, for making that work!

By the way, my apologies in advance for giving anyone the impression that I think my way is the only way or that I know it all. It was not meant that way.

I'm still thinking about the new agent that started this conversation and also the vast majority of Medicare brokers that DO NOT have 275 new MAPD's and 15,000 referrals during AEP. I'm talking about the agent that slows down and works differently.

You might be an agent writing 65-125 new MA per year. Medicaid and LIS does not gravitate your direction much (and you like it that way). Your goal is someday to have 250, 500, 750 and someday 1,000 on the books of mostly hard working Americans that appreciate what you do and not "what's in it for me" and "can I squeeze another benefit I deserve out of the government" class of people.

The reward:

a) you have smooth/ steady residue income and time to enjoy it!

b) phone usually rings because it's a referral T65.

c) the right market eliminates compliant issues. We can't discriminate and cherry pick in our business, but we have a legal right to choose how to market and associate ourselves with businesses that share core principles.

Merry Christmas!

That's a very good loss ratio for that market! Good for you, for making that work!

By the way, my apologies in advance for giving anyone the impression that I think my way is the only way or that I know it all. It was not meant that way.

I'm still thinking about the new agent that started this conversation and also the vast majority of Medicare brokers that DO NOT have 275 new MAPD's and 15,000 referrals during AEP. I'm talking about the agent that slows down and works differently.

You might be an agent writing 65-125 new MA per year. Medicaid and LIS does not gravitate your direction much (and you like it that way). Your goal is someday to have 250, 500, 750 and someday 1,000 on the books of mostly hard working Americans that appreciate what you do and not "what's in it for me" and "can I squeeze another benefit I deserve out of the government" class of people.

The reward:

c) the right market eliminates compliant issues. We can't discriminate and cherry pick in our business, but we have a legal right to choose how to market and associate ourselves with businesses that share core principles.

Merry Christmas!

Everything thing you said spot on . The compliant issues will be from the low income working leads . The goal is the working class person as it stabilizes your renewals and you have much greater loyalty . But for new agents many have no choice but to work low income to get their book started and grow fast .

Including our OP, who feels a simple thanks is not adequate. :wideeyed:

Caveat, not an agent.

The discussions here are rampant with comments about marketing dollars, leads, other rewards to agents and the amounts of money FMO's are making from MAPD's.

A new agent is not going to have a clue as to where dividing lines between no agent incentive rewards or issuance of agent incentive rewards might be.

Caveat, not an agent.

The discussions here are rampant with comments about marketing dollars, leads, other rewards to agents and the amounts of money FMO's are making from MAPD's.

A new agent is not going to have a clue as to where dividing lines between no agent incentive rewards or issuance of agent incentive rewards might be.

There’s no dividing lines . It’s your ability to negotiate with the different fmo’s and get the best deal .No different than comp levels in fe .

Why would you sign with anything Humana owns? They are already trying steal clients.

Don-you can’t return every call in 60 minutes AND have that huge of a book. Bull.

I’ve hit the wall on personal production, I cannot do any more during AEP. My son graduates from Texas Tech this summer and is coming into the business. But I’m at the wall, it’s time to grow up, put my big girl panties on and become a GA. And I already have a work wife and phone gal.

Kstein-remember that not all agents do AHIP, so some of the rules you live by Somarco doesn’t care about.

Why would you sign with anything Humana owns? They are already trying steal clients.

Don-you can’t return every call in 60 minutes AND have that huge of a book. Bull.

I’ve hit the wall on personal production, I cannot do any more during AEP. My son graduates from Texas Tech this summer and is coming into the business. But I’m at the wall, it’s time to grow up, put my big girl panties on and become a GA. And I already have a work wife and phone gal.

Kstein-remember that not all agents do AHIP, so some of the rules you live by Somarco doesn’t care about.

“ Mrs Johnson I got your call and I just wanted to touch base . I’ll call you later today “ . Wether they answer or not . A general rule within 1 hr . Of course there’s times it might be 2 hrs . Believe me it’s tough but I’ve managed so far . Some days 15 calls . But Jan 15 th ( 2 weeks for new clients ) it’s 8-5 m-f and no weekends . I have no aspirations of growing much bigger being a 1 man shop . If I can stay level I’ll be happy .

put my big girl panties on and become a GA

More headache than it is worth . . . "wrangling" agents, cleaning up their messes, dealing with crap after they left because another agency promised them 1% higher commission . . . friends don't let friends do dumb things . . .

Switching FMO's is like taking off today's dirty underwear and changing into yesterday's underwear from the dirty clothes hamper.

...and a Happy New Year

Good analogy . . . HNY to you as well but since Christmas arrives before NY Merry Christmas to you and others

The reward:

Merry Christmas!

Wow!

Too many agents run a race, not a marathon. I can't tell you the number of folks who flamed out in the first few months and many don't make it 2 years before they crash and burn.

They buy into the hype of fast, easy $$ and think they can get rich quick without an investment of time or money.

If it were that easy, everyone would be doing it.

Taking the time to educate folks who are new to Medicare may not pay as well for agents looking for the quick sale . . . by any means necessary. But a long term stream of income generally pays out better over time.

Folks who order from the dollar menu will never change . . . always looking for a lower price/better offer. There is no stability there and the agent will constantly have to look for new policyholders to replace those that left.

People who have no money usually congregate with others who are the same. Do you, as an agent, want clients who are constantly late and ask for help to reinstate their coverage or would you rather have someone who pays on time?

I have one client who constantly waits until the last minute to pay her premium and refuses to set up a bank draft. The first time here policy lapsed I went to bat for her and got her reinstated . . . but I also told her that is a one off . . . don't expect me to do it again.

I am always amazed that she can't pay one months premium on time and when she get's beyond the grace period is able to pay 2 or sometimes 3 months premium. Something is wrong with that picture.

John Ruskin is credited with saying, "Those that offer their product for a lower price know exactly what it is worth".

Back