Happy New Year!

I've become more focused on the debit side of my business over the last couple of years. The main goal for a debit agent isn't production, but increase in book size. My goal for my LBL debit is 22% increase in book size (based on monthly premium), and for my overall book of business it's a 10% increase in book size.

Debit increase goals are all affected by production, persistency, and mortality. So I'm conscious of all of those, and have a subset of goals related to that, but they always get tweaked through the year to make sure I'm on target for the increase goal.

When I was focused more on FE, I always started with my income goal first, then worked backward to determine how much production I would need (figuring in my average persistency/NTO ratios). But being conscious of book size would have been helpful under that system, too, since the larger your own book of business becomes, the less you need to rely on outside lead generation, which in turn reduces marketing expenses.

It's a different mindset, but I think it can be helpful for any type of insurance agent to at least consider as part of goal planning.

Back