Helping a friend for term.. etc

I dont like cancel culture when it comes from Social media mob, but conservatives & liberals both have created this. It isnt just the liberals I dont agree with involved in cancel culture. Just a few that I can recall from various decades of my life:

Conservatives were in a yank in the 1970s with one of my favorite shows, the Jeffersons, for having an interracial couple on the show

Harry Potter books & movies
Dixie Chicks (I cant stand their music, etc) but they took a beating for their statements.
Brokeback Mountain--never watched it but I recall the cancel culture around it
NFL-- pretty self explanatory
NBA- see above
News media- fake news
Late night shows hosts
SNL
Starbucks
Nike
Here is a website telling Conservatives who & what businesses to boycott: NTF WORKSHEET: CONSERVATIVES SHOULD BOYCOTT the FOLLOWING COMPANIES & PERSONALITIES — Nebraska Taxpayers for Freedom (netaxpayers.org)

We are all a bit hypocrites on this topic. The difference today is that social media allows it to go on 24/7 blast worldwide asap & get consumed, shared & promoted...................on both sides of the political sides

Long live Pepe LePeuw, Speedy Gonzalez, Grease, Chris Cuoma (cant stand him),

This Dr Seuss is ridiculous to me on both sides. Harper decided on their own to quit printing those 6 books & they have every right to do that if they are no longer selling or they wish to get ahead of any future problems with them. However, the big tech companies like FB marketplace, Amazon, Ebay, Google that have now stopped allowing the old versions of those books to be bought/sold as collections are being hypocrites with what they still permit to be sold, viewed ,etc.

sadly, I think it is only the beginning & we get to act offended when "our" side has something attacked & act righteous when we go after the "other" side
On the other side there is also rampant racism... On my TV, there is a new network.. BNC (Black News Chanel).. Can you imagine a white news channel? Or, how about a Caucasian College Fund... The list goes on and on. My BIL owned a very successful company that made made ethnic beauty products aimed at black women. JJ and other black leaders tried to shake him down by threatening to boycott the products becasue they were made by a white controlled company.. The racism will never stop until it stops on both sides.

You are (my opinion of course) out of your mind.
Dr. Seuss was a genius. Pure and simple. No two ways about it.
Who is to say some of his characters WEREN’T poking fun at white people? Do you think no cartoonist has ever made stereotypical fun of white people?
I may have a lot of faults but racism is not one of them.

Cancel culture is out of control. You are not going to “save the world” by banning Dr. Seuss or Mr. Potato Head. Erasing history is not an option. You can attempt to keep kids ignorant but I don’t think that ends well.

I know your motives are in the right place but you are WAY off base and way out of line with your “I’m more woke than you” attitude.

Have a good day.

Being a literary genius does not exclude a person from being racist.

If you can explain why depicting black people as monkeys is ok in a children's book... but not ok to display on the street corner on a sign... I'm all ears.

If you cant, then you are supporting and enabling racism.

Call yourself what you want. If you dont want to be considered a racist, dont support, excuse, or enable racism.

Last edited:
On the other side there is also rampant racism... On my TV, there is a new network.. BNC (Black News Chanel).. Can you imagine a white news channel? Or, how about a Caucasian College Fund... The list goes on and on.

Those things didnt need be be called caucasian ... they were exclusive to white people for 100 years without needing to say so.

Thats why there was a need to create things exclusively for black people... because they were excluded from the white peoples creations.

But you are old enough to know that, you lived through it. Maybe you forgot.

I may have a lot of faults but racism is not one of them.
Cancel culture is out of control. You are not going to “save the world” by banning Dr. Seuss or Mr. Potato Head. Erasing history is not an option. You can attempt to keep kids ignorant but I don’t think that ends well.
I know your motives are in the right place but you are WAY off base and way out of line with your “I’m more woke than you” attitude.

I never called you racist. You became defensive over that, but I never called you racist. I said, some white people seem to still be ok with offensive imagery about blacks and asians... based on your last post... you seem to fit that category perfectly.

Again, if you dont want to feel like people consider you a racist; dont support or enable or defend racist images.

My attitude is this: I dont agree with showing children racist stereotypes without appropriate context and conversation. Dr. Suess did not do that. They were depicted in "light hearted" and "funny" manners.. with zero context. And the words in the book made fun of the people. My opinion is that is wrong on many levels.

Who wants to erase the history of racism? There is an entire movement to actually accurately teach it in classrooms to our kids... with proper context and conversation surrounding those issues.

What most people with morals do not want, are their children being exposed to racist images during their bedtime story. If thats "woke" then yeah, Im awake. Love my kids way too much not to be.

And what you are referring to is "white washing", meaning putting your head in the sand about what it actually is.

Those Dr. Suess images could certainly be shown to children... during a conversation about the horrors of racism.

Last edited:
Those things didnt need be be called caucasian ... they were exclusive to white people for 100 years without needing to say so.

Thats why there was a need to create things exclusively for black people... because they were excluded from the white peoples creations.

So the cure for exclusion is more exclusion?

come on you know better than that

If we are to move to an equal society it needs to be equal or you are just creating more of the same and not getting anywhere at best and maybe backward

"WERE" is the operative word... That is no longer the case. You can't move forward by dwelling on the wrongs of the past.

"WERE" is the operative word... That is no longer the case. You can't move forward by dwelling on the wrongs of the past.

If that is no longer the case, then why is there no equal (in relation to population demographics) representation in those industries among various races?

When that happens, it wont be an issue anymore. But in over 100 years, it still has not.

So the cure for exclusion is more exclusion?

come on you know better than that

If we are to move to an equal society it needs to be equal or you are just creating more of the same and not getting anywhere at best and maybe backward

The cure for exclusion, is full inclusion. Which has not happened in 100+ years now.

Until that happens, minorities will have a need to make their own creations.

Defending images that are offensive to the ones excluded for 100+ years, certainly is not the way to make our society fully inclusive.

So, can you explain why its ok to show black people depicted as monkeys to kids in children's books... but not ok to post those images on signs in the street?

Doesnt seem like Scott can...

Both are our past. Both are our history. Why is one wrong and the other ok?

Back