How Suze Orman Scammed The World (2016)

Personally, I think Suze Orman is mostly "irrelevant" today. I don't mean that as an insult, it's more just an observation. I never once sat with a HNW individual, H&W, or business owner who brought up her name, advice, recommendations, etc. Her personal success and accumulated wealth has little to nothing to do with her success as a financial planner, advisor, wealth management professional, etc. -- as much as it has to do with her success in selling books, DVD's, etc.

In her case, having the CFP designation is just that -- a designation. I have no idea if she ever practiced as a financial planner, advisor, wealth management professional, etc. I am sure her "basic" advice -- cutting up your credit cards -- to people who are in debt, have little to no money, aren't saving, etc., might make some sense. However, I don't think her advice is applicable to everyone; especially not HNW clients. I don't think people are paying much attention to her much these days.

She worked for Merrill and Pru.

I am aware of various stints, but again, I don't know if she ever practiced as a planner, in wealth management, etc. She could have simply been a producer as both are wirehouses (I think she was with PruB back in the day).

She's had plenty of "foot in mouth" instances, but that's par for the course. I've heard the back-peddle and dance from her on annuities, long-term care, and disability insurance. I remember she was a critic of long term care, and a while later spoke about how "by the time" she applied for it (for her own mother), it was too late as she got declined; but it was fortunate that she (Suze) could afford to pay for it. She also then added her name/endorsement to a LTC carrier and/or product. Just more of the dance. LOL.

Back