How to Hold a Medcare Educational Seminar

I hold Medicare Information meetings all the time, and have learned how to be compliant, worthy of my time (getting business), and have fun, all at the same time.

As you will notice, I referred to it as a "Medicare Information Meeting". Not a Seminar.

Secondly, I always have a whiteboard, a person in the audience who knows me, and the Medicare and You book at each meeting.

Why?

I have a whiteboard, because that is where I have the sponsor - whether it be a Life Enrichment Center, Library, etc. - write my name and number. It's not in my handwriting. It's in theirs.

I have a person in the audience stand up and shout, "Are any of you Secret Shoppers? You have to say so now, since you've been asked." These people are so stupid, I've actually had a few stand up and admit it.

I then proceed to discuss certain pages out of the Medicare and You book. Since it is a CMS approved publication, and since most seniors don't read past page 4, I am safe in covering the material.

After my message, the sponsor stands up and refers to my name and number on the whiteboard, and tells them that I also have cards.

On their smartest day, CMS is not as smart as I am on my dumbest day.

All it takes is 30 minutes of pre-planning, and the cooperation of the sponsor, who, by the way, also is not too keen on CMS.

Hope this helps.

I hold Medicare Information meetings all the time, and have learned how to be compliant, worthy of my time (getting business), and have fun, all at the same time. As you will notice, I referred to it as a "Medicare Information Meeting". Not a Seminar. Secondly, I always have a whiteboard, a person in the audience who knows me, and the Medicare and You book at each meeting. Why? I have a whiteboard, because that is where I have the sponsor - whether it be a Life Enrichment Center, Library, etc. - write my name and number. It's not in my handwriting. It's in theirs. I have a person in the audience stand up and shout, "Are any of you Secret Shoppers? You have to say so now, since you've been asked." These people are so stupid, I've actually had a few stand up and admit it. I then proceed to discuss certain pages out of the Medicare and You book. Since it is a CMS approved publication, and since most seniors don't read past page 4, I am safe in covering the material. After my message, the sponsor stands up and refers to my name and number on the whiteboard, and tells them that I also have cards. On their smartest day, CMS is not as smart as I am on my dumbest day. All it takes is 30 minutes of pre-planning, and the cooperation of the sponsor, who, by the way, also is not too keen on CMS. Hope this helps.

Good! Smart! ..........................

Educational seminars are all about building relationships. Keep in mind that the audience will not know all of the rules about not being able to sell them anything. So your approach about not selling anything might be a bit skewed only because some seniors will not know this (until you tell them in your opening statement which is mandated by CMS).

If you go on the CMS web site they have a 1 page pdf that outlines the does and don't(s) for educational seminars. I've done a few of these and enjoyed doing them.

----------

At my educational seminars, there was always a secret shopper. No matter, I go by the rules.

I've been reading all the materials from CMS trying to make sure I can do this correctly. Since I'm independent and work with various carriers, I was going to call it a formal sales event and register with CMS yet do the meeting unbiased to a company and more educational.
I believe this way I can overcome the restrictions on contacting the individuals that attend?

I've been reading all the materials from CMS trying to make sure I can do this correctly. Since I'm independent and work with various carriers, I was going to call it a formal sales event and register with CMS yet do the meeting unbiased to a company and more educational.
I believe this way I can overcome the restrictions on contacting the individuals that attend?

I think most of the "Plans" will not allow you to do a " sales event" as a GA/ Broker.
Humana, BCBST, Health Spring will not... as far as I know.

Back