I challenge any single agent to show me he has 1000 mapd active

It's a PITA, but it's what's right for the client. Many times there is nothing that needs to be done. But there are always a handful where they need to make a move due to a medication or a doctor no longer being in network. I prefer to add value in advising a change before it costs them money and headache.

Not everyone takes that approach . . . I know you do, so do I and a few others on this forum.

I have near zero complaints by my Medigap clients. Those that complain about PDP in the first quarter of the year are the same ones who ignored at least 4 notifications asking for a current med list as well as a couple of notices (just from me) about PDP premiums rising (like when Humana doubled premiums a few years ago). Those same folks never bothered to read, or even open, the ANOC in addition to my email warning.

Client communication is almost 100% initiated by email (by either of us).

Every client (plus some prospects) get a monthly newsletter.

If they don't know change is coming it is because they don't take a few minutes to read the newsletter.

Last edited:
The only way to know this before the end of AEP is to update their medication list and run comparisons. It's a PITA, but it's what's right for the client. Many times there is nothing that needs to be done. But there are always a handful where they need to make a move due to a medication or a doctor no longer being in network. I prefer to add value in advising a change before it costs them money and headache.

Exactly, and my compliments to you! Yes its a PITA but it also solidifies the client relationship, is an extra opportunity to cross-sell ancillary/FE/Life/Annuity and ask for referrals.

So in AEP adding an assistant or two to do the grunt work in obtaining and running scripts and doctors so all I have to do is talk with the client is totally worth it. And, l'M the closer so I should be the one that reviews the results with the client and works on additional business.

I speak to every medigap client each year, not to just help them pick the best pdp plan, but mostly to remind them of why they have OM and not be swindled into an mapd plan, and IGNORE the commercials and ......their friends

Correct and as I said if they call in Jan I’ll switch them . Their in the best copay , benefit , moop combo already . In 2 plus yrs I’ve yet to run into that problem . So I’m not running 500 drug plans for something that might happen every blue moon . Like I said what I do works for me . You need to be worrying if the agent will be around in 2-3 yrs . I read were Ritter is predicting commissions start dropping next yr due to new pdp calls and less reimbursement from the govt . Pdp plans will be hurt bad

Got it, you’re good with letting your clients potentially being surprised and dropping $900 on a medication. I’d prefer to prevent that from happening and my clients are grateful for it.

You likely don’t experience anything like it because the majority of your clients are DSNP and pay nothing for meds.

You do you Don and I’ll do me.

I know someone has around 1k clients on med sups alone, Wish it was me lol

He says he almost never even hears from them again and very few fall off the books. He doesn’t even bother doing PDPs, he sends them to the carrier to do it. And it’s one guy with assistants.

I don’t know if it’s bs or not but he says he’s clocking in at around $300k a year or more average.

He says he almost never even hears from them again and very few fall off the books. He doesn’t even bother doing PDPs, he sends them to the carrier to do it. And it’s one guy with assistants.

I don’t know if it’s bs or not but he says he’s clocking in at around $300k a year or more average.

Well you settled the question what has more service work med sup or mapd . I’d also love to have a large book of med sup and play golf all day . But that’s not an option for a newer agent any longer . The pool of prospects has collapsed the last 5-7 yrs .

While it’s true that service work on Med Supps is next to nothing, “never hearing from them again” will lead to declining commissions. Most carriers pay a level commission for 6 years and then it drops drastically. If he’s not in regular contact with his clients, that $300k will drop regularly as his clients hit that 6 year mark.

I regularly review rates at renewal for my Med Supp clients. Assuming they are healthy, many times you can save them money every 3-5 years by changing carriers.

I speak to every medigap client each year, not to just help them pick the best pdp plan, but mostly to remind them of why they have OM and not be swindled into an mapd plan, and IGNORE the commercials and ......their friends

Would love to hear all your scare tactics as to why they are so much better off paying a premium for a Med Sup and a crappy PDP vs, paying no premium for a plan that has their health insurance plus a great PDP not to mention dental, vision, hearing, gym etc. In my area people must talk more and see through all these scary scenarios and realize they come out way ahead on the MAPD over 25 years.
Let me guess: You will lose your Dr.
You have to wait to have anything done until insurance approves it.
You are no longer part of Medicare.

All a bunch of crap but I’m sure it’s all said to people daily. Feel bad for these clients who never know all the options available to them. I show them all options and 9/10 pick MAPD bc I don’t try to scare them one way or another.

Latest posts

Back