I challenge any single agent to show me he has 1000 mapd active

So there are not really 10,000 people (+/-) coming on Medicare every day?

I mean last 5-7 yrs almost every Med sup carriers has had zero growth . Flat total enrollment since 7 yrs ago . Mapd almost 100% in 7 yrs . Means even though MB’s growing yearly med sups flat .There’s about 18 million med sups out their and 31 million mapd . But more importantly the % of new to medicare choosing ned sup is falling sharply . Which means much fewer prospects to wrote t-65 for a med sup only agent . On the other side what role will agents have in mapd on 3-5 yrs ? A lot of changes coming .

Caveat, NOT an agent.

Yes those numbers are pretty close. As long as the baby boomers are aging into Medicare, those numbers are holding true.

There is an underlying point I was trying to make with my question.

Well you settled the question what has more service work med sup or mapd . I’d also love to have a large book of med sup and play golf all day . But that’s not an option for a newer agent any longer . The pool of prospects has collapsed the last 5-7 yrs .

Yes those numbers are pretty close. As long as the baby boomers are aging into Medicare, those numbers are holding true.

The point is this:

If there are (give or take) 10,000 people a day turning Medicare age in the US, and there are not more than 10,000 people a day of Medicare age in the US dying, then The Pool of Prospects for senior market products is NOT collapsing.

When we talk about the Part A, Part B, Part C and Part D Medicare products, I think I have seen 6 options mentioned.

1) In the last 6 years I think I have seen one post where an agent mentioned a person who was qualified (age and ss credits, and citizenship) for Parts A and B but had no Medicare coverage.

2) I think there may have been a post or two about persons eligible and qualified for Part B who had Part A only. I think those usually come up with discussions about the Part B LEP and whether or not it can be waived.

3) I believe there have been a few posts (less than both hands worth) mentioning prospects that had Parts A and B, but no supplement coverage. Those will pop up in discussions about getting a Medigap plan for someone who cannot pass underwriting.

4) There's Part A + Part B or Part A + Part B + Part D

5) There's Part A + Part B + Part C or Part A + Part B + Part C + Part D

6) Departure from Medicare coverage due to death.
(although I think some agents are now facing determined clients who are working on living beyond the end of the agent's selling career.)

There may be fluctuations in prospect pool size in those sub groups, but I don't see them decreasing the overall size of the Medicare prospect pool.

A very, very easy thing to say; and a much more difficult thing to do, is that the agents have to find a way to gain access to those people and make presentations and sales to them.

Again, a very, very easy thing for a non-agent to say; but I don't see the global statement "There is a declining prospect pool" as a legitimate explanation for an individual agent's failures to sell the Medicare Supplement or Medicare Advantage products.

(Footnote. In the comments above I have deliberately used the terms Part C or Medicare Advantage rather than MAPD because they are different.)

You don’t think you should give your clients all their options in a non-biased way? I have replaced so many G Plans bc the agent didn’t show them all their options.

What would you choose when you turn 65? I posted a new thread, go vote and let us know.

https://www.beckerspayer.com/payer/...medicare-over-medicare-advantage-report.html?

Most brokers and agents personally would choose traditional Medicare and Medigap over a Medicare Advantage plan. When asked, most said that they believe traditional Medicare, with the addition of Medigap supplemental plans, offers better health care coverage and choices, particularly as people age. One broker explained their choice, “If I ever have a medical issue, I’d want to be able to go to any physician I want.” A few participants, however, thought Medicare Advantage plans would be fine for their needs.

What would you choose when you turn 65? I posted a new thread, go vote and let us know.

https://www.beckerspayer.com/payer/...medicare-over-medicare-advantage-report.html?

Most brokers and agents personally would choose traditional Medicare and Medigap over a Medicare Advantage plan. When asked, most said that they believe traditional Medicare, with the addition of Medigap supplemental plans, offers better health care coverage and choices, particularly as people age. One broker explained their choice, “If I ever have a medical issue, I’d want to be able to go to any physician I want.” A few participants, however, thought Medicare Advantage plans would be fine for their needs.

Caveat, NOT an agent.

Based on posts I see here, I think it will be more than "a few" agents who will choose Medicare Advantage coverage over Original Medicare plus Medigap (IF Medicare Advantage coverage continues to have coverage parameters similar to, or better than, the coverage available today (2022-2023)).

A very, very easy thing to say; and a much more difficult thing to do, is that the agents have to find a way to gain access to those people and make presentations and sales to them.
Damn Buzzard Boy. Good post.

Let's say that instead of 10,000 a day there's only half that. 5,000 a day x 7 days a week. That's 35,000 T65s a week.

I'm 70 now and a lot slower than I used to be. But even in my prime, I was never quick enough to get around to seeing 35,000 people a week.

Also, like Somarco posted earlier. The groundhog saw his shadow and we're going to have 6 more years of Baby Boomers.

All this considered, it's a good time to be selling medicare plans.

Let me play:

You may lose your doctor or provider. Oops that's true.
You may have to wait until ... Oops that one's true too.
You are no longer under Original Medicare ... damn true again.

Those were your three. Here's some of mine.

Hospice isn't covered under MA. Only Original Medicare. Look it up.
MA plans are annual contracts ... Companies can change or drop each year.

I could do more but you get my point. It's not a scare tactic if it's true. It's called a fact.

None have been a problem for many years. Telling them they are losing their Medicare is the biggest scare tactic used I’m sure. Guarantee the agent isn’t saying you will no longer be on original Medicare but using Part C of Medicare. That wouldn’t be scary enough. So what if hospice reverts back to Part A for someone on hospice. Still covered.

Last edited:
None have been a problem for many years.
Not sure what you mean. None what?

Telling them they are losing their Medicare is the biggest scare tactic used I’m sure.
Exactly who is telling them this? I don't. And I don't know anyone who is and I've been doing the Medicare thingy for 35 years.

What about MA agents using the word Free? Strictly forbidden but I've had 3 on my front porch in the last few years saying exactly that.

I don't know you from a hole in the ground but you sure are coming across as a MA Only kind of guy.

None have been a problem for many years. Telling them they are losing their Medicare is the biggest scare tactic used I’m sure. Guarantee the agent isn’t saying you will no longer be on original Medicare but using Part C of Medicare. That wouldn’t be scary enough. So what if hospice reverts back to Part as for someone on hospice. Still covered.

MAPD doesn’t cover hospice? I have a client right now on UHC MAPD and doesn’t pay for hospice. Yes, maybe Medicare pays for it but agents shouldn’t use that as a scare tactic. Saying if they go with MAPD they won’t get hospice.

MAPD doesn’t cover hospice? I have a client right now on UHC MAPD and doesn’t pay for hospice. Yes, maybe Medicare pays for it but agents shouldn’t use that as a scare tactic. Saying if they go with MAPD they won’t get hospice.
No it does not. Original Medicare covers that.

And exactly where did I say that a MA patient was not covered for hospice. I didn't. Read it again.

BTW, speaking about hospice ... my wife's been on hospice for a little over 10 years now. I could write a friggin book on hospice. Could you?

Back