I Need Help

joshInagent

Expert
I'm currently in my forth month of being a captive agent for Banker's Life and Casualty, selling life and health in the senior market. I decided to give the company a shoot without doing research on my end about Bankers. They have been good to me so far through my short time at the company, but I believe it is because I am producing with little help from my trainers.

I'm going to sum this up pretty fast. I've read what the forums say about Bankers and so far I have to agree with almost everything I have read. (Of course even having not found these forums I have countless concerns about Bankers) I have given a lot of thought to going Independent. I really like the idea, but even after reading a lot of what these forums have to say I'm confused. What are some good companies to start off selling if I am newly indy and how do I go about getting contracted to sell them?

How much of a cash foundation do I need in place to get going as an independent agent? Should I wait and stick around Bankers until I'm ready and have everything in place to go indy or do I need to get out as fast as I can?

I need any help I can get. I feel confident selling the insurance products in the senior market, I just want to do right by my clients and right by the seniors I go out to see.

Thanks, Josh from Indiana

If he's been there for 4 months, there's not much more you can learn from them. IMO

If you are looking to go indy in the senior market, first look to see which med supps are competitive in your area. There are plenty of agents here from indiana that can help you with that answer. Also, find out if MAPD's have any relevance there too.

Next you'll want to look at FE. You'll probably only need 2-3, so I'd say start with Oxford and Foresters.

Just hit the phones like you have been and you'll be OK.
The only thing they'll show you at Bankers is how to get in the door with Medicare and transition to how much money they have in the bank. They will tell you that you can't make a living off of Med supps and MAPD's, but they only say that because they don't make much overrides.

Get really good at your medicare presentation and cross sell FE. You'll do OK

I'm currently in my forth month of being a captive agent for Banker's Life and Casualty, selling life and health in the senior market. I decided to give the company a shoot without doing research on my end about Bankers. They have been good to me so far through my short time at the company, but I believe it is because I am producing with little help from my trainers.

I'm going to sum this up pretty fast. I've read what the forums say about Bankers and so far I have to agree with almost everything I have read. (Of course even having not found these forums I have countless concerns about Bankers) I have given a lot of thought to going Independent. I really like the idea, but even after reading a lot of what these forums have to say I'm confused. What are some good companies to start off selling if I am newly indy and how do I go about getting contracted to sell them?

How much of a cash foundation do I need in place to get going as an independent agent? Should I wait and stick around Bankers until I'm ready and have everything in place to go indy or do I need to get out as fast as I can?

I need any help I can get. I feel confident selling the insurance products in the senior market, I just want to do right by my clients and right by the seniors I go out to see.

Thanks, Josh from Indiana

If you are in Southern Indiana I may have something you would like.

Two options:

Option A: Captive agent for an agency in Evansville that sells FE, Med Sups, Funeral Preplanning, and Cemetery Monuments. You would have training and free leads in this position. Commissions are assigned to the agency. Free leads as well as duty days at the funeral homes (walk-ins and call-ins) Agents generally make around $70,000 in this position with ZERO expense.

Option B- Independent agent contracting under me with the main FE companies at high commission levels. Companies would include Monumental, ForeThought, 5-Star, Oxford, Settlers, and others. 1st year commissions range from 100%-120% on these companies.

Option B gives you total freedom to contract and sell anything and anywhere you want but have a mentor in the FE and Medicare field to fall back on. Option B is available where ever you are in Indiana.

Contact me if you would like to talk further.

Newby said:
If you are in Southern Indiana I may have something you would like.

Two options:

Option A: Captive agent for an agency in Evansville that sells FE, Med Sups, Funeral Preplanning, and Cemetery Monuments. You would have training and free leads in this position. Commissions are assigned to the agency. Free leads as well as duty days at the funeral homes (walk-ins and call-ins) Agents generally make around $70,000 in this position with ZERO expense.

Option B- Independent agent contracting under me with the main FE companies at high commission levels. Companies would include Monumental, ForeThought, 5-Star, Oxford, Settlers, and others. 1st year commissions range from 100%-120% on these companies.

Option B gives you total freedom to contract and sell anything and anywhere you want but have a mentor in the FE and Medicare field to fall back on. Option B is available where ever you are in Indiana.

Contact me if you would like to talk further.

You know Newby I'm in Maine and that option A sounds good to me (don't like the assigning commissions but understand why) Plus the agent learns and can sell pre-need which can be a very different market than FE. I notice you didn't bring up your wires credentials as a CPA (if I remember correctly) and CFP.

You know Newby I'm in Maine and that option A sounds good to me (don't like the assigning commissions but understand why) Plus the agent learns and can sell pre-need which can be a very different market than FE. I notice you didn't bring up your wires credentials as a CPA (if I remember correctly) and CFP.

My wife just can't stay away from them books. She picked up her ChFC recently (I didn't even know she was studying for that one) and is now considering working toward her doctorate in finance.

If I don't watch out...pretty soon she will think she is smarter than me.

Newby, are you only offering option A to southern Hoosiers so I won't take that offer up?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
GreenSky said:
You really think there's a chance he'll find your 3 clients and move them?

Rick

Are you still mad at me for not hiring you as a telemarketer?

Last edited:
Back